You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-15 21:41:53

franzfranz

Direct Rendering and Sound Blaster Fun

Hey guys, I just got Arch running last week. I'm a recent Slackware convert, and I really like it. Just 2 minor issues. I can't seem to get direct rendering working with my Radeon 9600 Pro card. I've heard that people have used the ATI driver for xfree86 4.3 on 4.4 with no problem. Any recommendations? I downloaded the driver but it only comes in rpm format, how do I unpack that? Shouldn't I be able to use the agpart support built into the 2.6 kernel?

The other part, is my sound isn't working. I've been trying to get alsa to work, and had a fair amount of success playing around with in in slackware on the 2.4 kernel, but I'm using the stock 2.6.6 with Arch and I haven't been able to get it running, despite running alsaconf and unmuting my sound.  Oh, and I have loaded the driver snd-emu10k1 and made the proper changes to /etc/devwhatever.  Thanks for any help!

#2 2004-05-15 22:30:47

xerxes2
Website

Re: Direct Rendering and Sound Blaster Fun

Hello!
Your graphics problem I can't help you with and the soundcard problem I really don't understand either.. Is the soundcard detected or not ,that's first priority,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-05-15 22:37:12

dp
Website

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-05-15 22:41:16

dp
Website

sound:

make sure in /etc/rc.conf in MODULES you have snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss (in this order)

make sure in /etc/devfsd.conf you have set the permission to the users to access sound:
something like this:

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660 
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660 

with this, you still have no sound? any errors in logs? (/var/log/messages /var/log/kernel /var/log/errors dmesg)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-05-15 23:25:27

franzfranz

ok, i wasn't really feeling like compiling my own kernel, but i guess there's no getting around that if I want 3D, oh well.  As for my soundcard.  alsaconf seems to have found it, no problem, and I"ve changed the MODPROBE line in rc.conf, but still no sound.  I suppose while i'm playing around with my new kernel, I"ll just see what's going on with my sound.  Thanks for the quick responses guys!  I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 2004-05-15 23:57:12

xerxes2
Website

oki..franzfranz..
look at dp's devfs settings above, if you done that already
it must be that mute is on ,install alsa-utils and run alsamixer or if you got another mixer try all kinds of settings in there

#7 2004-05-16 01:24:24

lanrat

Ok. This time I'm going to mention alsa wiki page :-) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa%20setup These repeating alsa questions in the forums will drive us all crazy some day :shock:

#8 2004-05-16 03:15:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

lanrat wrote:

These repeating alsa questions in the forums will drive us all crazy some day

They did drive us crazy, that's why the wiki was created. smile

Dusty

#9 2004-05-16 06:09:03

franzfranz

sorry guys, thanks a bunch!

#10 2004-05-16 16:50:30

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:
lanrat wrote:

In fact, I'm still crazy!

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#11 2004-05-16 18:56:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Xentac wrote:
Dusty wrote:
lanrat wrote:

In fact, I'm still crazy!

Yes, you are... in a genius sort of way...

#12 2004-05-17 04:57:30

franzfranz

well i can claim mild success with the direct rendering, but with sound, i've been blown out of the water.  The best I was able to do was to make my speakers pop, which I thought might be a good sign, but I've been unable to get anything to actually play.  I followed the wiki's advice, but no success yet.    Maybe I should make my own alsa packages?  Thanks for any suggestions.

#13 2004-05-17 15:51:31

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Will need more infor, errors or something. Assuming you got it working on Slack (that is, assuming that your sound card is supported by Linux at all), there should be no problem getting it to work in Arch.

In fact, Arch was the first time I got Alsa working right the first time... :-D

Do you get any errors when you try to play a sound file using aplay?

Make sure the alsa channels are unmuted (alsamixer). Some people have found that you have to mute certain channels and unmute others to get it working, kinda strange... bit of a black art, so far the best way to get it seems to be trial and error...

Dusty

#14 2004-05-17 18:25:47

yak8998

Sounds like your having the same problem I did. Are you running KDE per chance? If the popping on your speakers is AFTER they're already turned on, and the computer is turned on, it means your getting some sort of sound.

There seems to be a bug in KDE where the kde sound daemon thingy takes over your sound card. Try loading into a consule (not in KDE, shut KDE down), do a

modprobe -r snd-emu10k1
modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss

followed by a

modprobe snd-emu10k1
modprobe snd-pcm-oss

and than try doing something without KDE to test the sound. That works for me, its annoying though. I'm on the verge of submitting a bug report. (BTW I am using the ens1371 driver).

As for the radeon, post any more questions you have, I've gotten pretty profecient with setting them up (also check the gentoo forums, theres been a lot of discussion over there on getting it running, '_wedge' in particular knows his stuff when it comes to setting up the ATI cards)

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#15 2004-05-17 19:38:57

franzfranz

thanks so much yak, I'll try that when I get back from work and post how it goes.  I am running KDE and I've gone through hassels with it before....  thanks again!

#16 2004-05-17 21:14:18

xerxes2
Website

Don't give up ,
strange with this kde bugs because sound have I never had trouble with,
use kmix and controlcenter but that you probably tried already
check also that arts is on or off (kcontrol), that depends on wich program you are running,
if it still not works recompile kernel or at least alsa drivern.

#17 2004-05-18 04:06:06

mr_ed

I have an SB Live! and after I ran alsaconf, I got a nasty screaming from the speakers after I unmuted them.
When I looked at alsamixer again, there was a setting for AC97 (all the way to the right) cranked all the way to the top.  After I zeroed them I had no problems with sound.  I thought maybe since you heard a pop that there may be a similar issue?

Board footer