You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-03 10:21:52

test1000

Weird hardware error

Usually when i turn on the computer it hangs at seemingly random occasions in the bootprocess. Sometimes it hangs at the BIOS boot menu at the very start, sometimes it hangs before grub comes up, sometimes before the kernel is loaded. Sometimes while the kernel is booting up. Sometimes at the "ACPI ... (can't remember the exact message)" after the kernel is booted up.

The strange thing though is if i get past this point and GDM is loaded then the computer is stable for atleast a day(i have to shut it down at night cause it makes too much noise).

Usually i have to try multiple times to get my machine to boot up. What gives?

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#2 2007-08-03 18:48:24

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Weird hardware error

It could be a faulty/loose power connector, check all power connectors inside the pc.
Also go into the bios , look for a submenu called pc health and study the voltages for several minutes to see if they remain stable.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-08-06 18:08:33

test1000

Re: Weird hardware error

hmm i don't know if i fixed it for sure, but it sure seems so: I removed all the dust from the computer(mainboard,cpu,coolers,wires,etcetc) and it booted up on the first second and third try smile

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer