You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-06 19:31:59

rdking

several starter questions

first

install sucessfull!  But:

edited inittab to swich default runlevel to 5 and Xdm to Gdm
now on boot it says several times, cannot execute /usr/bin/gdm.....(changed to sbin, the true path, will see if that works in a moment)

second.  Neither my video card nor monitor are recgnized.  Using VESA right now.

using lg l1718s lcd.

hor 30-83
vert 56-75
res 1280 x 1024

but it is not a listed res under the vesa driver.  Plus i would change but refresh rate and color depth are unknown....I assume 75 hz and 24.

I am unsure of how thae monitor section is edited.  Can figure where the above values fo, but the displaysize section confuses me....any help would be great. 

Are drives availible for this lcd?

#2 2007-08-06 19:47:05

tom5760
Website

Re: several starter questions

now on boot it says several times, cannot execute /usr/bin/gdm.....(changed to sbin, the true path, will see if that works in a moment)

This may be silly, but did you install GDM?  Type the following to install it:

pacman -Sy gdm

Just as a note, Arch Linux leaves you with a pretty bare system once installing, so most everything you want, you have to install yourself with Pacman.

The important question is what video card do you have?  If you are not sure, post the output of the 'lspci' command.  Once we know, we can install the drivers for that card.  For example if you have an ATI card, you can install the open source drivers with

pacman -S xf86-video-ati

and changing the driver from vesa to ati in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Good luck!

#3 2007-08-06 20:13:21

rdking

lspci states :

STMicroelectronics STG4000 [3D Prophet Kyro Series]

#4 2007-08-06 21:00:00

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Your card is unsupported as of kernel 2.6, so it appears you must use the vesa driver.
related thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2172605

#5 2007-08-07 09:05:08

FUBAR
Website

rdking wrote:

first

Graphical login manager automatically at boot

rdking wrote:

first
second.  Neither my video card nor monitor are recgnized.  Using VESA right now.

using lg l1718s lcd.

hor 30-83
vert 56-75
res 1280 x 1024

but it is not a listed res under the vesa driver.  Plus i would change but refresh rate and color depth are unknown....I assume 75 hz and 24.

I am unsure of how thae monitor section is edited.  Can figure where the above values fo, but the displaysize section confuses me....any help would be great. 

X.org doesn't have drivers for monitors, only for VGA's. The safest and easiest thing to do is to comment out the HorizontalSync and VerticalSync lines in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf: X.org will read the monitor's specs and use the correct values.

The display subsection in /etc/X11/xorg.conf defines the resolutions your X server will support. You could put "640x480", "800x600" and "1024x768" in there, and then switch between them using CTRL + ALT + Plus/Minus. This is pretty useless on LCD's as they have only one optimal resolution.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer