You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-06 15:13:08

Fork

Various doubts

Hello,

I would like to know if its possible to make my user a superuser? If so how?
If its not recommended, why not?

I have installed FluxBox on my machine, is it possible to make it more "desktopy"? I mean having a gui for browsing folders opening files.

I am currently installing XFCE, i have SLiM as my Desktop manager, how do i select wich DM/DE to launch?
(Currently FluxBox and XFCE, thinking of adding E17) Is Entrance DM better than SLiM?

How to change SLiM's theme?

I have installed HAL and dbus.
I did not touched fstab, is my computer correctly configured to automount every removable device? With any FileSystem?

#2 2007-08-06 20:46:11

mcmillan

Re: Various doubts

You switch to root by typing su, then the root password. Or do you mean you want to give your regular user root permissions. If you mean the second it's more secure to setup sudo then to actually hack things to give your regular user more permission.

If you just want a gui for browsing files then all you need is a file browser. I used emelfm2 when I used fluxbox. I think Thunar would probably work without being too heavy and you have it with XFCE. I'm sure there's other options, but I can't think of any right now.

For different DM/DE you need to edit the line saying sessions in /etc/slim.conf. I only have KDE on my computer, but according to the slim website it looks like you choose the one you want by pressing f1.

The slim theme is also specified in slim.conf. Just list the theme name given in /usr/share/slim/themes

I think HAL should work as long as it's listed under the daemons in /etc/rc.conf. I've edited my fstab though so it may need that. My line for in is :
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdrive vfat user,noauto        0       0
but it works ok on my other computer without fstab, at least within kde.

#3 2007-08-06 21:29:16

Fork

Thanks. Will look into that.

By any chance does anyone know how to set Num lock on by default? every time i reboot it goes back off. It gets on my nerve.

NVM found it in the wiki

Last edited by Fork (2007-08-06 21:38:44)

#4 2007-08-06 22:07:53

Fork

Every time i boot xfce, it tells me that my computer is not in /etc/hosts I tried to add it there, but it's still giving that annoying warning.

#5 2007-08-07 04:34:08

mucknert

That is all in the Wiki. Look harder!

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#6 2007-08-07 08:44:16

FUBAR
Website

Fork wrote:

Every time i boot xfce, it tells me that my computer is not in /etc/hosts I tried to add it there, but it's still giving that annoying warning.

Does your /etc/hosts look something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 yourhostname.yourdomainname yourhostname

?

Here's another wiki for you to read. We never claimed Arch would be easy! tongue

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#7 2007-08-07 10:34:56

Fork

FUBAR wrote:
Fork wrote:

Does your /etc/hosts look something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 yourhostname.yourdomainname yourhostname

?

Here's another wiki for you to read. We never claimed Arch would be easy! tongue

Thanks, worked. I didn't find that in the wiki.

I know noone said Arch was easy, but i amd proud of myself, i got most of it to work on myself.

Board footer