You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-04 08:40:08

johannesheld
Website

[solved] no jre & flash in arch32 chroot

Hello,

this is probably an ever and ever discussed thing..

I decided to create an arch32 chroot instead of installing all the lib32 from community.
Thanks to this guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … bit_system), it was very easy.

I installed jre, mplayer-plugin, flashplugin & swfdec.

If I start firefox via dchroot and try sites like "youtube" or partypoker (java needed), I see only a nifty notification, that I have to install plugins.
Like the javaplugin or the flashplugin.

Any help is appreciated.
Could it be, that uname -a (inside the chroot) says still x86_64 and that therefore the plugins don't work?

Please point me to my fault.

Last edited by johannesheld (2007-08-06 14:37:58)

Johannes

#2 2007-08-05 12:38:36

Leigh

Re: [solved] no jre & flash in arch32 chroot

Hmm, look at the contents of /opt/arch32/etc/pacman.d/community

make sure the end of each server and ftp line says "i686" and not "x86_64"

if not, and each line has "x86_64", you missed a step when editing your arch64 /etc/pacman.d/community file per the wiki to i686 for setting up the the 32bit system, and of course aftwards changing it back to X86_64 which is very important.

If that is the case, you probably installed the chroot as another arch64 system. You'll need delete everything under /opt/arch32 and start over.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#3 2007-08-05 12:49:21

johannesheld
Website

I've done the editing step. The arch32-chroot tooks only i686 packages.
Compiling and linking the blackdown-jre plugin into /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/plugin (all in arch32-chroot) doesn't help either.

But I've read in an other wiki entry [1] that my kernel is still 64-bit, even in the 32-bit chroot. So that's probably the
fault.
Can I fake uname (or things related to that) in my arch32-chroot? Like that the java-plugin (which is installed) thinks it's run under i686..

[1]: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … bit_kernel

Last edited by johannesheld (2007-08-05 13:03:40)

Johannes

#4 2007-08-06 05:51:11

Leigh

It's odd that your having this trouble. I'm running arch64 with the arch32 chroot environment with no problems. After installing the arch32 base environment per the wiki, I added jre flashplugin opera firefox and seamonkey. Then I verified that java and flash work using this site which has a bunch of java and flash stuff. Everything worked fine.

http://www.eddyjoe.com/music_games/games/

Did you add the arch32 script to /etc/rc.d and add arch32 to the daemons array in rc.conf ? You'll need to reboot after doing that so your arch32 system is started/active automatically. After that, you shouldn't actually need to chroot into /opt/arch32 anymore unless you want to update/install something with pacman. your 32bit programs should run from the arch64 system with the command... dchroot -d "your program"

edit....
Come to think of it, I do remember adding a normal user account under the arch32 system to match my normal user in arch64 to avoid any permission issues that might happen. Then I copied my "/home/me/.mozilla" folder to "/opt/arch32/home/me" before installing jre and flashplugin so all my firefox user settings in arch32 would match my arch64. I copied a bunch of other stuff too that is more specific to my system like my .gtkrc and .gtkrc-2.0 and .fonts.conf and others. mostly just stuff thats not 64bit or 32bit dependant. Because I have a lot of spare disk space, I installed all the fonts that I use in arch64 to arch32 so I wouldn't have any font issues with the 32bit opera or firefox, and I made sure my locale.gen and all locale settings matchted my arch64 because I use Chinese a lot in Opera and Firefox.

I'm not sure I needed to do all that, but I wanted to just so the arch32 stuff involving opera and firefox and seamonkey and fonts would be as close to the same as my arch64 stuff. That way when I open firefox64 or firefox32, i don't see any difference other than the obvious firefox64 flash and java doesn't work.

Anyway, I like this 32bit fix because once arch64 is up to speed and works with everything, all I need to do is delete /opt/arch32, remove arch32 script from rc.d and the arch32 deamon from rc.conf and I'm back to pure 64bit. : )

Last edited by Leigh (2007-08-06 09:01:27)

#5 2007-08-06 09:57:51

johannesheld
Website

Leigh wrote:

Did you add the arch32 script to /etc/rc.d and add arch32 to the daemons array in rc.conf ? You'll need to reboot after doing that so your arch32 system is started/active automatically. After that, you shouldn't actually need to chroot into /opt/arch32 anymore unless you want to update/install something with pacman. your 32bit programs should run from the arch64 system with the command... dchroot -d "your program"

That's exactly the way I start firefox. And since setting up the croot (& adding arch32 to daemons-array) I've rebootet many time.

Leigh wrote:

Come to think of it, I do remember adding a normal user account under the arch32 system to match my normal user in arch64 to avoid any permission issues that might happen. Then I copied my "/home/me/.mozilla" folder to "/opt/arch32/home/me" before installing jre and flashplugin so all my firefox user settings in arch32 would match my arch64.

I have the same user in arch32-chroot. I copied /etc/group* and /etc/shadow* and all the like into /opt/arch32/etc like the wiki told me.
And mounting /home to /opt/arch32/home gives me all configurations in my chroot.

Inside the chroot I have installed jre firefox flashplugin and even tried blackdown-jre.
[chroot into /opt/arch32]
All the next ways to link the libjavaplugin.so don't work.
in /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/plugins

libjavaplugin.so -> /opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/netscape4/libjavaplugin.so
libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin.so -> /opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Each time I start "dchroot -d firefox" and go to about:plugins NO javaplugin is listed.

in /opt/mozilla/lib/plugins  libjavaplugin_oji.so points to /opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so and even libflashplayer.so is there.
But I have no java nor flash inside my chroot.

If I use the jre from SUN it doesn't work either.
I simply don't know what's wrong.

Leigh wrote:

Anyway, I like this 32bit fix because once arch64 is up to speed and works with everything, all I need to do is delete /opt/arch32, remove arch32 script from rc.d and the arch32 deamon from rc.conf and I'm back to pure 64bit. : )

That are exactly my thoughts.

Last edited by johannesheld (2007-08-06 09:58:03)

Johannes

#6 2007-08-06 12:41:18

Leigh

It seems you havn't missed anything. try installing the jre for your 64bit arch to see if that makes a difference although I don't see why it would if java is already installed for arch32. It sounds like it's something simple like maybe a typo in your arch32 script, or maybe a permissions issue not letting java run as normal user? I dunno. maybe someone smarter than me can point you in the right direction. If it were me, I would delete the arch32 dir and start over just to make sure I did everything right.

Hmmm,

I checked my /opt/arch32/opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/ dir to see if it matched yours..

I have only two directories each containing one java plugin ....

/opt/arch32/opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/opt/arch32/opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I wonder why this is different than what you have?

Last edited by Leigh (2007-08-06 13:03:05)

#7 2007-08-06 13:23:00

johannesheld
Website

Leigh wrote:

It seems you havn't missed anything. try installing the jre for your 64bit arch to see if that makes a difference although I don't see why it would if java is already installed for arch32. It sounds like it's something simple like maybe a typo in your arch32 script, or maybe a permissions issue not letting java run as normal user? I dunno. maybe someone smarter than me can point you in the right direction. If it were me, I would delete the arch32 dir and start over just to make sure I did everything right.

Hm, that's perhaps a good idea.
The thought of not having all rights is also not bad.

Leight wrote:

/opt/arch32/opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/opt/arch32/opt/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I wonder why this is different than what you have?

There are "no" differences.
I tried both "jre" and "blackdown-jre". The ns7-one is normal jre and the paths I posted before.

Using blackdown-jre (in arch32 and normal) I HAVE the java-plugin - but that's useless. Cause I can't start any applet.
There are errors like "AppXYZ not inited" and the java-console is full of wierd messages, that some classes could't be loaded

For example. if I try the game "snake pit" from "eddyjoe.com" I have these messages in the java-console:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SnakePit.class
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: www.eddyjoe.com
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.createConnection(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    ... 10 more

I'll post again when the new arch32-chroot is made.
Thanks so far.

Johannes

#8 2007-08-06 14:34:09

johannesheld
Website

AH! Now we are close to success.
I reinstalled arch32-completely.. And then I figured out, that the problem was, that I mounted /home into the chroot.
And that I started dchroot -d firefox while my x64-Firefox was still up.

So they messed up with ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
Starting "only" the chrooted firefox gives me all the plugins. Flash, Java.. *phew*

JUHU

edit.
And a hint for others.
Install libxtst in you chroot. You'll need them for java.

Last edited by johannesheld (2007-08-06 14:38:33)

Johannes

#9 2007-08-06 18:03:14

Leigh

I had a feeling it was something simple : )
I also have libxtst installed in the chroot, but I don't remember installing it. I think it might be a dependency installed when installing java? Oh well, I'm glad everything is working. Even though you had this trouble, I still think it's a better solution than reinstalling arch to i686.

#10 2007-08-06 18:38:11

johannesheld
Website

I had to install libxtst manually.

Leigh wrote:

Even though you had this trouble, I still think it's a better solution than reinstalling arch to i686.

I've never thought of a "downgrade" to i686 on my x84_64!

Johannes

#11 2007-08-07 11:03:28

Leigh

Oh, I got you and Amphaeon mixed up in a previous thread.

Board footer