You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-06 15:57:20

nilsHaus

[SOLVED] [openbox]Set icons for Thunar and themeing with Gtk

When I open Thunar, first of all as regular user, I get

libxfce4util-CRITICAL **:unable to open file /home/[user]/.config/Thunar/thunarrc.5670.tmp: Permission Denied

x2 (I get this twice)

When I run as root, I get

Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon for stock: Icon 'gnome-fs-home' not present in theme
Thunar: Failed to connect to the D-BUS session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connetion was broken

I hand copied all this info from xterm, so it might not be perfect.

My questions are: How do I set permissions on those thunar temp files
How do I set the icon theme for Thunar (I tried to install Tango icon theme--it had worked fine on a computer with xfce4 on it but on this WM-only I think there are probably more steps)
Why is it failing to connect to DBUS (DBUS is running, loaded as a module. I've also tried restarting it, to no effect)

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-08-09 00:20:16)

#2 2007-08-06 15:59:27

nilsHaus

Re: [SOLVED] [openbox]Set icons for Thunar and themeing with Gtk

If you run Thunar outside of Xfce, you may wish to set Xfce's configuration first by running xfce-mcs-manager, the Xfce settings daemon. In my case, for instance, the Xfce icon theme fails to load without the daemon, and the file management pane fills with the default dog-eared page icons, rather than more descriptive icons specific to file types.

Goddamnit I found this literally SECONDS after posting this...in any case, is there another way of doing this?
NEVERMIND, this didn't work out. So yes I need a different way of doing this...Where are the config files for Thunar?

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-08-06 16:17:47)

#3 2007-08-06 16:53:39

neodreams

in ~/.configs tongue

#4 2007-08-06 19:26:39

fwojciec

This might not be the most elegant way to do this but try this:

1. Install xfce4 (pacman -S xfce4)
    - run it once, make sure that thunar runs OK
2. Remove xfce4 completely (pacman -Rs xfce4)
3. Install Thunar - hopefully it'll work now, since uninstalling xfce does not remove the config files.
4. Clean up ~/.config/ directory, if you want to remove all the remaining xfce4 files.

Also, in order for openbox to know which icons to use in applications you have to add

gtk-icon-theme-name = "icon_theme_name_here"

to the ~/.gtkrc.mine file.  The icon theme name is the same as the directory in your ~/.icons or /usr/share/icons directory.

#5 2007-08-07 19:48:14

nilsHaus

fwojciec wrote:

This might not be the most elegant way to do this but try this:

No effect on both of those. Even opening up Thunar in openbox with xfce4 still installed doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me why I get that first error message? I suppose it has to do with having no permission in thunar...? I can't even delete files in Thunar...

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-08-07 20:08:44)

#6 2007-08-07 21:10:04

thewayofzen

1. create a file called   .gtkrc-2.0
2. inside that file have

include "/home/username/.gtkrc.mine

(where username is your username of course)

3.  create a file called .gtkrc.mine
4.  inside that file have

gtk-icon-theme-name = "Tango"

(where Tango is whatever icon theme you wish to be used in thunar)

Just creating .gtkrc.mine without telling gtk to look for it in .gtkrc-2.0 will not have it be referenced.

#7 2007-08-08 20:17:32

nilsHaus

I already had .gtkrc in there, so I just copied it as .gtkrc-2.0 (it basically had what you said). I'll give it a try.

SCORE! I now follow the way of zen. God, these are some good icons. Anyone have any suggestions for Area04-style icons?

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-08-09 00:19:55)

Board footer