You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-08 20:20:56

Weeks

Java Security Flaw

Okay, so it's not really vindication as I only really hate Java because I have special DNA that sends an auto-destruct command to my brain cells on programming Java for too long, but anyway: it's not just awful - it's now a prime-target for phisers, as seen on slashdot, as well!

I've removed JRE for the time being. It's a good job I don't intend on using Open Office for a while. I suppose it's better to just remove the firefox/opera plugin for it. It would be even easier to unclick the "enable Java" box. But there's a certain pleasure in removing it. It's almost like I've suddenly killed whoever designed Java's I/O system. Blissful.

Beware - here be dragons!

#2 2007-08-08 20:41:47

mucknert

Re: Java Security Flaw

First, this is the wrong category: this is hardly a Linux Discussion. Second, it's just a random rant that could as well just stay unsaid. It belongs to a personal blog instead. Third, OpenOffice does not need Java to work.

Really, what is the actual point of this? I fail to see it.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2007-08-08 20:54:14

FeatherMonkey

http://hackademix.net/2007/08/07/java-evil-popups try here perhaps you'll see, it's quite a serious flaw, here have got a demo.

Though strangely enough Konqueror refuses to open it up. So me continue to use java with Konqueror, also a suggestion at that site think for noscript, what ever read on and if you still think its nothing so be it.

#4 2007-08-08 21:23:04

mucknert

While I see the gravity of that issue, I still don't see why this justifies a rant against Java. Malware can be written easily in C, C++, VB, C#, Assembler, you name it! It's not the language which sucks (which in fact does not), it is the people that use the language to do evil things. Of course this is rather evil, what people might do with Java. But so are worms and trojans. Do we say that the Languages they are written in are evil just because they give Criminals the opportunity to do what they do? No we do not! Therefore, the original post is pure flamebait or, at least, more of a rant than anything else.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#5 2007-08-08 21:29:24

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Java is useful, but can also be dangerous.

Noscript is an extension for firefox that allows you to selectively enable/block java for sites.
It's on every pc (windows and linux) i have firefox installed.

I just tried the link and both demos fail, so i have no need to remove java.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2007-08-08 21:47:26

FeatherMonkey

I found it strange that konqueror refused to open it(Also seen stuff about it not working on a mac), I'll presume you tried with noscript because when I tried it clearly did something with firefox.

My pc really didn't like it locked it up had to hard reboot afterwards.

@mucknert
I see now, was a little of a rant kind of distracted you from the issue.

#7 2007-08-11 12:13:42

arooaroo
Website

Weeks, please refrain from using these forums for pushing your ill-thought out prejudices.

#8 2007-09-14 09:38:00

lloeki
Website

both js and java totally failed on epiphany on my computer. it just looked like the usual popup, and closed as usual.

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

#9 2007-09-14 10:23:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

and despite the OP, OpenOffice does not require java. Just go Tools > Options > Java and disable it. I havn't noticed anything missing yet, and my OOo gets battered a bit with uni work.

James

#10 2007-09-16 08:54:15

hussam
Website

Java is only needed for the wizards and openoffice base because of the use of hsqldb.

Board footer