You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-08 14:31:47

Lone_Wolf

Latest binutils break libbfd

One of my apps gives this error after updating today :
/usr/share/oolite.app/oolite: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.17.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

As it worked fine yesterday, i checked and found libbfd is in /usr/lib and belongs to binutils, and this was updated today to binutils-2.17.50.0.18-1 .

In the previous 2.17 versions of binutils it installed libbfd-2.17.so , now it installs libbfd-2.17.50.0.18.so .

Creating a symlink for libbfd-2.17.so works as a temporary solution

As bfd is used by many apps , i've submitted a bugreport Flyspray #7762

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2007-08-09 04:17:36

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Latest binutils break libbfd

not a bub for flyspray, it's an AUR pkg. just rebuild it.

#3 2007-08-09 11:23:50

Lone_Wolf

Re: Latest binutils break libbfd

Since bfd was involved and this is used by many apps, i thought it could have repercussions on many arch packages, that was the reason for the bugreport.
I've seen jgc closed the bug because libbfd should not be linked dynamically but static and am investigating further.
Rebuilding the package doesn't work, and i think the culprit is not the app oolite, but the GNUstep-core packages (community) that are needed to compile/run oolite.

Atm it looks like gnustep-base uses dynamic linking at buildtime and needs to be rebuild everytime the toolchain changes.
I'm attempting to rebuild oolite and gnustep-base to see if i can solve the problems.

Sidenote : almost all problems i've had with this app are related to GNUstep. Once i've figured things out i'll notify the TU's who maintain gnustep-core.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer