You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-09 11:54:36

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Still No New Version for Pacman ?

Hey There,

There has been a lot of time passed over the locale problem we face and no updates have been released since then. I don't want to create a pacman-svn package just for this reason because it's a lot of work and also it'll be useless after a while.. My problem was that pacman had problems with Turkish locales (i->İ, ı->I conversions..) so they said that it's fixed in SVN.. Is there a plan for the next release of Pacman ?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#2 2007-08-09 12:01:32

dolby

Re: Still No New Version for Pacman ?

i guess we have to wait for phrakture to be 100% back for that. theres also the yaourt installing dependencies explicitly issue thats said to have been solved upstream, probably some other stuff too.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-08-09 13:30:19

iphitus
Forum Fellow

yaourt is a yaourt problem. not pacman.

anyway, what's this locale problem?

#4 2007-08-09 15:53:07

dolby

iphitus wrote:

i was referring to http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7193
maybe it was my fault mentioning it as the yaourt bug furthermore since i dont even use yaourt.
i might consider using it though if this makes it to release

Last edited by dolby (2007-08-09 15:55:21)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2007-08-09 15:57:41

shining
Pacman Developer

iphitus wrote:

He was probably referring to this issue :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7193

anyway, what's this locale problem?

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7235

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#6 2007-08-09 21:05:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I'd like to test the new pacman but with a proper pacman-git pkg that will install along side the current pacman I'm not even going to risk it ;-)

#7 2007-08-12 12:21:21

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Well; I do really want to have a new Pacman that doesn't have any locale problems... I can't do anything with pacman unless I change the locales back to C.. :S

#8 2007-08-17 03:49:19

toofishes
Developer
Website

Hey guys- being the active pacman developer at the moment, I'd like to say I want to release a pacman 3.1 version "soon". However, the definition of soon that I have may be different than yours. To me, some time before the end of September would be soon. You have to realize that it takes quite a bit of testing and work to release a new version of pacman that includes more than bugfixes as the pacman 3.0.X releases have been. Stay tuned to the pacman-dev ML for details. We aren't that far away from a 3.1 stable release, but realize we have had over 300 commits since pacman 3.0.0, which can introduce a few regressions that even our pactest suite can't catch.

P.S. If you build the version from a current CVS checkout, it shouldn't have any locale problems. They are fixed there, but we haven't done a release. In addition, these problems are fixed in GIT but we still need some extensive testing to this to ensure it is all OK.

#9 2007-08-17 10:25:43

iphitus
Forum Fellow

toofishes wrote:

Hey guys- being the active pacman developer at the moment, I'd like to say I want to release a pacman 3.1 version "soon". However, the definition of soon that I have may be different than yours. To me, some time before the end of September would be soon. You have to realize that it takes quite a bit of testing and work to release a new version of pacman that includes more than bugfixes as the pacman 3.0.X releases have been. Stay tuned to the pacman-dev ML for details. We aren't that far away from a 3.1 stable release, but realize we have had over 300 commits since pacman 3.0.0, which can introduce a few regressions that even our pactest suite can't catch.

P.S. If you build the version from a current CVS checkout, it shouldn't have any locale problems. They are fixed there, but we haven't done a release. In addition, these problems are fixed in GIT but we still need some extensive testing to this to ensure it is all OK.

the locales problem is pretty inconvenient for some, and is literally a one liner. Would you be able to bump 3.0 with an extra patch, sed, or just a new release with that fix?

James

#10 2007-08-17 20:39:43

toofishes
Developer
Website

OK guys, I released a new update of pacman today with a few patches. 3.0.5-3 should be hitting the repos soon.

Tunix- can you tell me if this fixes the locale issue? It should have done the trick.

The symlink issue should also be fixed now too (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7587, http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7530). You may have to do some manual work to get everything back the way it should be. For me this just required deleting the /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 directory AFTER I looked which packages had files in there, and then reinstalling perl followed by reinstalling those packages.

#11 2007-08-17 23:26:19

T-u-N-i-X
Website

It's fixed... It works very well..! Thanks a lot toofishes..

Board footer