You are not logged in.

#1 2003-03-08 19:31:05

dunbar

Sound modules

Along the lines of sound issues in the devfs thread (here), where might one locate modules to use for their soundcards? Aside from asking the soundcard (or the chipset) manufacturers, though - I use hand-me-down hardware quite frequently... anyone heard of the Mwave Jazz16? They're gone, as far as I can tell. No problem there, that card works with SB emulation. Are the appropriate modules universal - could I use a module from day one in todays kernel? The most frequently used soundcards seem to be included, but often, a card I have in hand is not popular and I'd like to do it myself, as it were, without asking for each and every module.

#2 2003-03-12 23:27:49

dunbar

Re: Sound modules

Asking too many questions?

One at a time then:
Where does one get soundcard/soundchip modules if not from the manufacturer?

#3 2003-03-13 11:02:55

Arielext
Website

check the oss and alsa soundcard matrix
hopefully you can find the right module there
if not, search google for other users

apt-get install arch

#4 2003-03-14 00:15:00

BluPhoenyx

dunbar wrote:

Asking too many questions?

IMHO, there is no such thing too many questions.

dunbar wrote:

One at a time then:
Where does one get soundcard/soundchip modules if not from the manufacturer?

I would have sworn I sent an answer to this which mentions the OSS and ALSA options Guess it landed in the bit-bucket.

There are some chipsets which support different card manufacturers although it may be hard to tell which. Some cards can also use the MS Soundsystem drivers. It used to be possible to still get sound card drivers using the commercial version of OSS. I haven't checked into this in for some time though.

Besides the Jazz, was their a specific card you needed to know about?

BluPhoenyx

#5 2003-03-17 18:19:26

dunbar

Specific cards?
No, I get so many hand-me-down systems from my employer, I really can't predict which card will be next. Mostly I get obscure cards like AzTech, MWave, ESS, etc. I have only recently needed to ask about modules, because Arch is (appropriately) a lean distro - Arch does not include the billion or so soundcard modules which would cover every possible soundcard that has ever been made available.

That means user need to research where modules can be obtained. User like dopey old dunbar.

So first of all, that I can check my soundcard (or motherboard chipset) manufacturer for drivers. And most manufacturers say 'Linux? Isn't that the illegal OS which hackers user for criminal activities? We don't support Linux, get a real OS...'
Then the question is answered as
A] check with the particular sound software which you are using - OSS or ALSA. I'll have to guesstimate that ARTS is similar, in this search.
Then,
B] search for "Linux +sound +module +" and add my unique sound setup information to the google string.

Thats it? Everyone feels this covers most anything I will encounter?

arielext:

do you mean I need to check in the OSS and ALSA websites or do I check inside something installed in my Arch system? :oops: :?:

And lastly, hold your thoughts, this might gravitate towards a light duty audio workstation effort, but that will be later - hold your thoughts.

#6 2003-03-18 01:38:19

BluPhoenyx

A quick browse of /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound lists a variety of sound card modules. The trick is knowing which one works for you. You can get some of this info from the kernel doc's or the lernel source (either looking at the code or while configuration) IIRC, alsa is the same but I don't use alsa.

As for other (non-Arch) modules, you may (and probably will) have problems getting them to work properly. Some claim this works, I prefer not to take too many chances, but that's just me. Whether you can find these on the net is also an issue. Most people prefer the how-to method because it's easier than trying to support the various versions of linux.

There is an OSS site which sells a commercial version of the kernel's OSS drivers. This is a last resort in my opinion since some sound modules cost extra. Plus, you have to disable the sound in the kernel (even if modular) which means you have to build your own kernel. (Note; It's been about 2 years since I had to use this method. Now the driver is in the kernel source.

I think you'll find that Linux supports a variety of sound systems and especially older cards.

I think it's a complement to be called a hacker's OS. The sad part is the companies which bought into this MS FUD could be increasing their profit selling to the Linux users too.

BluPhoenyx

#7 2003-03-18 09:19:51

Arielext
Website

dunbar wrote:

arielext:

do you mean I need to check in the OSS and ALSA websites or do I check inside something installed in my Arch system? :oops: :?:

the websites, both have a "soundcard matrix" with compatible soundcards/soundchips

apt-get install arch

#8 2003-03-18 17:34:56

dunbar

Thanks

Board footer