You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-14 04:36:34

thayer
Fellow
Website

Thinkpad T22 e100 NIC connects to DSL directly, but not through router

I recently came into possession of a used Thinkpad T22 and I'm trying to get it configured for our home LAN, which is currently host to 3 other PC's/notebooks.  It's a pretty basic setup (D-Link DI-524 wifi/wired router) with DHCP enabled on the router.  I have spent hours today, trying to get this new notebook to connect via the router, but it only manages to negotiate a DHCP IP address if I connect it directly to the DSL modem (a D-Link DSL-300G from Telus).

The Thinkpad itself is running just a barebones installation of Arch 2007.08 (no GUI's), and I've triple-checked to make sure the network config matches the other computers on the network to a 'T' (except for the kernel drivers of course).

The rc.conf bits look like this (matching the other Arch systems on the LAN):

MODULES=(e100 mii snd-mixer-oss ... )
HOSTNAME="thinkpad"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

The initial Arch installation had the eepro100 module loading side by side with the e100 module.  I tried both, and then each one individually, all with the same result--no connection.

I've tried the manual methods (ifconfig eth0 down/up, dhcpcd -k eth0 / dhcpcd -d eth0, etc, etc...)

As soon as I bypass the router, it leases an IP straight from Telus.  After scouring the web for hours, I'm about to pull out my hair.  Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this behaviour?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

PS: Just to make things clear, I've already checked the cat-5 cable, the resolv.conf, the /etc/hosts file, and made sure the router's DHCP IP range leaves plenty of room for more IP's.

PSS: I've tried using an Ubuntu LiveCD today, ending with the same results... so it seems it is hardware related (thinkpad issues?) or router-related (even though I've reset the router back to defaults several times now, to no avail)

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-08-14 04:47:54)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-08-14 07:47:20

mridc

Re: Thinkpad T22 e100 NIC connects to DSL directly, but not through router

Now this is just guessing, but do you have a MAC filter active on your router that prohibits the new network chip from connecting? The hardware itself seems to be alright, or you shouldn't be able to connect to your DSL modem. I'd check the router for a MAC filter.

#3 2007-08-14 08:09:39

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Thinkpad T22 e100 NIC connects to DSL directly, but not through router

DOH!!!  In my quest for greater wifi security I managed to lock down the network so tight that I couldn't even use it! LOL

How foolish of me... I went through all of the router admin tabs, but didn't think to tick the "Mac Filters" radio button--that's exactly what it was. Thanks mridc!

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer