You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-14 06:04:17

x-tra

Gnome doesnt start automatically

Hi,

I ve followed all the steps that described in the beginners guide, but still cannot make it to have gnome at once.

Although i am able to login at gdm, what i am getting next is an x-session with 3 terminal windows.
If i want to have gnome i have to write exec gnome-session.

Is there any way to have gnome desktop without the need to write all the time exec gnome-session.

P.S I ve copied the /skel/.xinitrc to my /home directory and added exec dbus-launch gnome-session to it.

I still can not figure out what i am doing wrong.....

Please give me a hint cause if i cannot start the desktop i will be dissapointed.

#2 2007-08-14 06:36:43

MrWeatherbee

Re: Gnome doesnt start automatically

x-tra wrote:

Hi,

P.S I ve copied the /skel/.xinitrc to my /home directory and added exec dbus-launch gnome-session to it.

I still can not figure out what i am doing wrong.....

Please give me a hint cause if i cannot start the desktop i will be dissapointed.

Try adding that line to ~/.gnomerc instead of ~/.xinitrc (create ~/.gnomerc if it doesn't exist).

I use ~/.xinitrc successfully, but I don't launch from GDM, I launch from startx at the command line. By the way, I only use:

exec gnome-session

but I guess you're doing dbus-launch because you decided not to add dbus to the daemons section of /etc/rc.conf?

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by MrWeatherbee (2007-08-14 06:37:57)

#3 2007-08-14 07:33:49

fernux

in  .xinitrc  it should look like this

#!/bin/sh
exec  gnome-session

Then  (edit) nano /etc/rc.conf
in the line DEAMONS add gdm  DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond  @sensors gdm)

Then edit:inittab ;
nano /etc/inittab

Modify default run-level
chance  id:3:initdefault: to  id:5:initdefault:

Modify default Display Manager
x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon

thats it reboot and gnome whill start

#4 2007-08-14 08:07:01

x-tra

fernux wrote:

in  .xinitrc  it should look like this

#!/bin/sh
exec  gnome-session

Then  (edit) nano /etc/rc.conf
in the line DEAMONS add gdm  DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond  @sensors gdm)

Then edit:inittab ;
nano /etc/inittab

Modify default run-level
chance  id:3:initdefault: to  id:5:initdefault:

Modify default Display Manager
x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon

thats it reboot and gnome whill start

Thanks for the immediate reply.

Which version of xorg server should i use 7.2 or 1.3.x are there any differences???

P.S I believe that i 've to do one of the two things you mention above. I will use gdm in the rc.conf file and change the x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon too???

#5 2007-08-14 08:19:27

fernux

I use  xorg 7.2  (stable,)  1.3 is in testing

You should chance all as i  wrote above,
and exec dbus-launch gnome-session  seems to me wrong.

Do as i say, it works

Last edited by fernux (2007-08-14 08:23:59)

#6 2007-08-14 15:03:43

x-tra

fernux wrote:

I use  xorg 7.2  (stable,)  1.3 is in testing

You should chance all as i  wrote above,
and exec dbus-launch gnome-session  seems to me wrong.

Do as i say, it works

i cant believe that i forgot t select gnome session from the gdm screen that is i couldnt see any gnome!!!!:lol:

#7 2007-08-14 16:07:52

MrWeatherbee

x-tra wrote:

i cant believe that i forgot t select gnome session from the gdm screen that is i couldnt see any gnome!!!!:lol:

Yea. Based on your first post:

x-tra wrote:

Although i am able to login at gdm, what i am getting next is an x-session with 3 terminal windows.

it seemed to me that you were successfully getting to GDM login but just were not getting to your gnome session, so that's why I didn't go into great detail about setting up GDM and just suggested using a different init file (~/.gnomerc in this case).

But, basically, you were choosing the wrong session at GDM, and once you selected Gnome, you were good to go, is that correct? smile

Anyway, back to dbus-launch ... any background on why you chose this methodology over putting dbus in the rc.conf daemons? I'm not criticizing, I've just not seen it done this way, so I thought you could provide some insight into your choice.

#8 2007-08-15 08:32:44

x-tra

MrWeatherbee wrote:
x-tra wrote:

Yea. Based on your first post:

x-tra wrote:

it seemed to me that you were successfully getting to GDM login but just were not getting to your gnome session, so that's why I didn't go into great detail about setting up GDM and just suggested using a different init file (~/.gnomerc in this case).

But, basically, you were choosing the wrong session at GDM, and once you selected Gnome, you were good to go, is that correct? smile

Anyway, back to dbus-launch ... any background on why you chose this methodology over putting dbus in the rc.conf daemons? I'm not criticizing, I've just not seen it done this way, so I thought you could provide some insight into your choice.

it doesnt make any difference its just another way to load dbus and having some options for the gnome-session.

Your solution is much easier so i stick with that.

Board footer