Grub Woes

Well I am at a loss. Here be the problem:

Grub kind of works, but is not reading my config. Partitions are as follows:

hda1  - /boot
hda2  - swap
hda3  - /home
hda4  - /

Grub is installed on hdb

I installed grub using root (hd0,0)  and then setup (hdb).

Like I said grub works, but I get no menu. If I do the whole root(hd0,0) kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda4 ro etc etc everything is fine.

Installing grub on hda does not work at all, I'm thinking the MBR is bad? but that is a different thread.

Can the collective arch minds lend a hand?

grub.conf (ln to menu.lst from the gentoo wiki).
http://pastebin.isawsome.net/pastebin.php?show=231

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#2 2007-08-15 11:43:46

Magician21

Re: Grub Woes

I had a similar problem.  It turned out that I needed to change the boot order of the hard drives in my bios.  If grub is on hdb, the bios attempting to boot from hda will not help you smile

#3 2007-08-16 00:59:56

jeebusroxors
Website

I have two problems with that - the first being I cannot determine which HD to boot off of, only that I want to boot of the HD.

The second problem is that grub actually works, it just doesn't find the menu.lst.

I suppose I could try mapping 0 to 1 and 1 to 0,  but I don't think that will change anything.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#4 2007-08-16 01:23:53

rayjgu3

jeebusroxors wrote:

Installing grub on hda does not work at all, I'm thinking the MBR is bad? but that is a different thread.

does this machine have S.M.A.R.T.? is it enabled? should give you a warning if drive is bad
boot install cd run cfdisk /dev/hda what format are partitions? linux, windows, minix ntfs?

you could switch your drives around so hda would be hdb then boot off install cd mount / change /boot/grub/menu.lst & /etc/fstab to reflect changes
thus your pc will be booting from hda & arch will reside in hdb resolving any confusion with bios picking boot drive

Board footer