$ make mrproper

I'm going to try and compile a kernel for the first time
using /usr/src. One step has me confused "$ make mrproper"
The docs say this will wipe out all previous configs and
reset the source directory to a *prestine* state. Should
I backup /usr/src/linux-2.x.x.arch/.config eventhough I'll
be doing the compilation in my home directory? And if I want
to use my current /.config should I copy it over the the kernel tree
in my home dir before or after mrproper.

I can't remember who posted this link..but, thanks smile
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kern … OAD-SOURCE

#2 2004-05-18 20:48:42

i3839

Re: $ make mrproper

make mrproper isn't really needed. What you want is "make oldconfig" if you have a .config you want to start with, and after that a normal "make menuconfig".

See "make help" for more info.

#3 2004-05-18 21:21:31

wdemoss

First, I'd would make a suggestion to you to not fool with the arch kernel that is installed. This is your safe kernel, so that when you accedently screw up your kernel options and can't boot into linux using it, you can boot into the default kernel to recompile your new one.

To do this is relatively easy. Just edit the Makefile in the kernel source root directory, adding -custom to the EXTRAVERSION property. Then follow the regular directions on the wiki, minus all the copying stuff around with the .arch extension.

This will give you a kenrel that when booted will produce uname -r = 2.6.6-custom.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#4 2004-05-19 13:17:43

dk

wdemoss wrote:

To do this is relatively easy. Just edit the Makefile in the kernel source root directory, adding -custom to the EXTRAVERSION property. Then follow the regular directions on the wiki, minus all the copying stuff around with the .arch extension.

-wd

Thanks wd-

The Makefile to edit is in my new source tree that was unpacked
in my home directory correct?

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 22
EXTRAVERSION = -1

And change EXTRAVERAVERSION to:

EXTRAVERSION = -customBork

or is there a Makefile in my current working kernel's /usr/src directroy?

#5 2004-05-19 13:54:33

wdemoss

In your example if the EXTRAVERSION is -1 in the origionaly makefile. The important thing is that it doesn't conflict with your current "Arch" kernel. I'm assuming that you are using a 2.4 Arch kernel. So if in your current kernel produces a 2.4.22-1 when you do a uname -r  then you need to change the EXTRAVERSION to something else like -custombork. If it just says 2.4.22, then the -1 will be fine. This allows both versions to coexist in the /lib/modules directory. The important thing is that the full version of the kernels don't conflict,  where version is {VERSION}.{PATCHLEVEL}.{SUBLEVEL}{EXTRAVERSION} that is defined in the Makefile

Also be sure to name your System.map System.map-`uname -r`. This will allow linux process system to resolve that system.map before the default System.map in the boot directory.

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

Board footer