You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-05 14:00:55

dninja
Website

fsck fails on boot but doesn't later

I have 3 file partitions and a swap partition all of which get mounted at boot time. Recently when I've been booting all get checked and report no problems but I get dropped into single user mode with an error that one of the disks has failed the check, no indication as to which one though. The only way I can get it to then boot is to edit fstab to leave only the root partition auto mounting and reboot. The machine then boots with no problems.

The weird thing is that checking the disks once the machine has booted, none report any problems and will mount and work fine, and the individual checks during boot  all report no problems either.

2 are resierfs and one ext2.

I'm on a standard stock 2.6.22 kernel, doing nothing special and no customization of anything to do with booting.

This is a real pain as the boot process also starts nfs and samba which then fail to export directories which are on partitions which don't get mounted so I have to mess around manually mounting things and restarting daemons.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

#2 2007-08-05 15:39:29

twiistedkaos

Re: fsck fails on boot but doesn't later

I had the same problem a long time ago, it had something to do with my computers internal clock not being what time it should be. I forget exsactly how I fixed that though

#3 2007-08-06 16:24:30

dninja
Website

I did spot that my ntp.conf file had been overwritten a while ago when I'd plugged the machine onto another network so the clock was out by a couple of minutes so I've fixed that and I'll see what happens when I reboot it tonight.

It sounds like a weird solution but then anything that works is welcome!

#4 2007-08-18 17:01:44

dninja
Website

I forgot to report back, the solution worked!

I got ntp working, brought the clock up to time (it was 2 mins out) and since then the machine has booted every time.

If anyone can explain why I'd love to know.

Board footer