You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-18 21:28:00

Valhalla

Arch on IDE, Vista on SATA...

Okay so I bought a Gateway off of NewEgg, and it came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium. I have another hard drive laying around which happens to be IDE. The drive in the Gateway is SATA. I would like to have Arch installed on the IDE, and leave Vista on the SATA. And have both as internal hard drives. I've tried Googling this, but all articles are about two SATA's or two IDE's or even just two partitions on either. I haven't found any info on this particular scheme.

So, how would I go about doing this?

Here is the computer I bought in question for the specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6883113025

Thanks!

#2 2007-08-18 21:32:41

pecan

Re: Arch on IDE, Vista on SATA...

My current setup is one SATA one IDE. Linux is on the IDE. All I did was make the IDE the hard drive to boot from in the BIOS and then just use grub like you would normally.

#3 2007-08-18 21:47:18

Valhalla

What I tried was installing Arch on the IDE with the SATA unplugged. And that worked just fine, rebooted and all. Then when I plug the SATA back in Arch with Grub pops up but get a kernel panic about not syncing. I've checked my BIOS and it appears that the IDE is listed as first HDD device to boot. I think the problem may lie in the fact that Vista is pre-installed, which usually has some obscure setup.

#4 2007-08-18 23:30:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

When you installed arch the ide drive was probably sda.

boot your archlinux cd with both drives installed and check which drive windows and linux are on.
I expect you will find that with both drives installed your windows drive will be sda and your linux drive sdb.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2007-08-19 00:25:00

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Remember that hd0,0 is the first drive, first partition ACCORIDING TO BIOS...so if you have your IDE set as the first boot device in BIOS, it should be hd0,0.....but that does not necessarily mean that it will also be sda1. The best way to fix yourself up is to keep your boot order in BIOS like this

First device to boot
1. IDE with Arch
Second device to boot
2. SATA with Vista

That way GRUB will always call them hd0 (Arch) and hd1 (Vista)...
Now udev is a different matter. Udev may want to call hd0 sda, -or- sdb. Always keep the hd0 label in GRUB, just try tweaking the kernel line from kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 to kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1.
For some reason udev sometimes gets scrambled up in situations like this, when you add a second drive that wasn't there, etc..You may want to have a look in the wiki under "Persistent Block Device Naming", but the above tip should set you straight in the meantime.
Good luck. smile
EDIT: Remember too, that Windows does not always play nice when it is the second drive, so you may have to add these to your GRUB arguments for your windows section:
  title Windows
  root (hd1,0)
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-08-19 03:56:54)

Board footer