You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-17 07:56:05

x-tra

Confused!!!

Hi,

I need some help with the automount stuff of USB cameras, sticks e.t.c

I ve read and understand the usage of UDEV, HAL and all the automount applications.

I am using the latest Arch release with gnome desktop

In order to use my camera or usb stick what are the steps i ve to follow to have my camera or stick be detected and an icon placed at my desktop like i used to do with PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu

And why these thing not happen automatically, I really want to learn things but i believe that is ridiculus not to be able to mount a camera or a usb automatically like other distros.

Thanks

#2 2007-08-17 08:54:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Confused!!!

In general, Arch doesn't automate things like that. We prefer to leave you in control of your system, so that you can choose to automate it if you wish. Remember, not everyone wants to use their system in the same way. I don't find this even slightly ridiculous, as it is basically the way Arch is meant to work.

There are a lot of different ways to achieve what you want, and the choice will depend to some degree on your choice of desktop - KDE, Gnome, etc. You will definitely need HAL running, so add it to rc.conf DAEMONS, if you haven't already done so.

#3 2007-08-17 09:10:13

test1000

it should automount as long as you have started hal and done the necessary things as metnioned in the beginners guide in the wiki, which you (should) have read

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#4 2007-08-17 18:33:18

arooaroo
Website

This page tells you how to get HAL working properly: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL

Just installing doesn't help, you have to make sure you've got the daemons loaded and that you are in the right groups.

Not sure if you need to do more for camera. This page may or may not be useful if HAL alone doesn't help: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Digital_Cameras

#5 2007-08-19 08:15:01

oportec

Try to add your user to storage and camera groups. For downloading photo from camera I use gthumb.

#6 2007-08-19 12:08:08

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

In order to have those icons show up on your desktop, your DE must be compiled with hal support and both dbus and hal running as daemons. I don't know if gnome is compiled with hal support but I imagine it is. Try starting dbus then hal and logout and in again.

Board footer