You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-15 22:50:33

battra

fluxbox question - [how to upgrade with no maintainer]

When switching windows in fluxbox (I use Alt-tab), the keyboard doesn't respond the first time I hit a key.  It will respond only after I hit the keyboard once (any key).  This is somewhat annoying.

After some research, it seems this is a upstream bug in fluxbox 1.0rc3-1.  The bug is apparently resolved in fluxbox 1.0rc3-3.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone is maintaining fluxbox, so it's stuck at the buggy version 1.0rc3-1:

http://archlinux.org/packages/900/

Fluxbox hasn't been upgraded since March 2007.

How does would one go about getting this upgraded to get rid of this upstream error when there is no maintainer for the package?

Last edited by battra (2007-08-19 05:14:08)

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates

#2 2007-08-19 05:33:24

droog

Re: fluxbox question - [how to upgrade with no maintainer]

I just checked the site rc3 is the latest so our package isn't out of date. I'm using rc3-1 and don't have this bug and i'm using the same keybindings as you.
You could always build from subversion, there are a few pkgbuilds around.

#3 2007-08-19 07:41:05

twiistedkaos

No issues here either with rc3-1, maybe it only affects some rare systems.

#4 2007-08-19 07:49:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

twiistedkaos wrote:

Ah, so, it's not a bug then?  The fluxbox definition of a bug is a problem that affects one of the maintainers.

#5 2007-08-19 09:42:21

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:
twiistedkaos wrote:

Ah, so, it's not a bug then?  The fluxbox definition of a bug is a problem that affects one of the maintainers.

Exactly. Try complaining to them, but dont keep your hopes up.

If it was introduced in the last release, try going through various CVS versions to see if you can track it down yourself, because that'll be quicker than the flux maintainers.

James

#6 2007-08-19 16:15:53

battra

Hmm, okay.  Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, it's true that rc3 is latest.

The only other person I've found that had this problem was from this Debian mail archive.  This guy apparently solved the problem by upgrading from 1.0rc3-1 to 1.0rc3-3 (in Debian obviously). 

Will maybe try the cvs/subversion versions and see what happens, as iphitus and droog suggested.

Thanks again.

- Socrates

#7 2007-08-19 18:56:25

skymt

It sounds like Debian patched Fluxbox to fix the bug. They have an annoying habit of doing that, making behavior of many programs different compared to other distros. I've looked through their patch for rc3-3 [gzipped text] for anything that might help your problem, but nothing sticks out. Someone else may have better luck. Also, here's the patch for -4, the current version in Debian unstable.

Last edited by skymt (2007-08-19 18:56:50)

#8 2007-08-20 05:17:45

battra

skymt wrote:

It sounds like Debian patched Fluxbox to fix the bug. They have an annoying habit of doing that, making behavior of many programs different compared to other distros. I've looked through their patch for rc3-3 [gzipped text] for anything that might help your problem, but nothing sticks out. Someone else may have better luck. Also, here's the patch for -4, the current version in Debian unstable.

Skymt, thanks a lot for taking the time to look and for posting the patches.  Nothing jumped out at me either.  Seems like me and this Debian user are the only ones experiencing this.  I know it's not a show-stopping bug (upstream bug, that is), but it really is pretty annoying - to me, at least.  Thanks.

- Socrates

#9 2007-08-20 08:28:45

droog

Since we're talking about fluxbox bugs, my system tray with my transmission icon in it just disappeared off my taskbar and appeared in the upper left corner of my screen. and only half of the slit settings are working.
my couple days of using fluxbox again are over.

Board footer