You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-20 03:15:43

danmac

Filled up user directory, now KDM won't log me in as users, only as /s

I dumped some files into my /home/mythtv directory(this is a mythtv box), and now instead of autologin to the mythtv account it comes up with a login screen.  The first time I typed in the login for mythtv, it gave me an error I could not read as my tv does display small fonts well.  So then I tried reinstalling kde/kdm just incase, same thing.  I made a second account(mtyhtv2) and I have the same issue.

The basic issue is this:
I type in valid user/pass and hit enter. The screen goes black for a second, then it resets to kdm.    I cannot launch it from console either, it gives me an error I cannot read.

Any ideas??? 

Thanks!

P.S. I did empty the user account

#2 2007-08-20 04:13:36

danmac

Re: Filled up user directory, now KDM won't log me in as users, only as /s

I hooked up a monitor, it gives me the error of no kstartupconfig and upon console login, it says "No Directory, logging in with HOME=/"
Edit:

I then went ahead and ran ls -l in / and it saw home, and in home, it saw the myth directory(its actually myth, not mythtv tongue).  I tried running chown myth /home/myth/ and it says its the owner.

But for some reason, it refuses to use.. i keep getting the no directory, logging in with HOME=/"

gaaah

Last edited by danmac (2007-08-20 04:38:24)

#3 2007-08-20 05:35:00

Back2Cali

Same problem with a desktop of a friend of mine. I'm also working on it, reinstalling all packages, but like you I'm not able to log in any longer. Did you find a solution yet? Please let me know how you might fixed it. I'm running out of ideas (also deleted the .kde folder in his account which didn't work at all) over here about this issue.
So if anyone has an idea what to do.... ;-)

Thanks!

#4 2007-08-20 23:20:39

danmac

Found a solution smile

First step is rather simple,

boot the system up VIA console, and log into root.  Then type in ls -l , make sure /home/ is there.  Then go under /home/ and run ls -l again, making sure that each folder is there..

Such as this:

/home/user
/home/user1

make sure each folder is owned by there respective owners, if they are not use su, and then run chown user /home/user/.  Once each folder is defintelly there, and owned by the user then log OUT of root, and into a user.

then: vi /etc/passwd and check that its like this:

user: BLAH BLAH BLAH:/home/user/: BLAH

its probaly like this though:

user: BLAH BLAH BLAH:/home/NOTuser/: BLAH

If it is wierd, change to root, and CAREFULLY change it to /home/user/

THat should change the entire home directory problem.

If your stil having issues with KDM/KDE, make sure your /tmp directory is NOT full.(Check your / partition)

smile

Board footer