You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-18 12:46:17

jackmetal

nvidia black screen lockups after upgrade

I've run archlinux on my laptop for a couple years now.  It's been working great with the nvidia driver and 1440x900.  I decided to do an upgrade (it's been a LONG time - it was before the major xorg upgrade I think) and now my laptop will not go into X any more.  It just goes to the black screen and totally locks up.  No breaking out of X or reboot options. 

I tried re-installing the nvidia driver and it didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?  I even tried a clean install of the new .8 version and it does the same thing for me (just a black screen total lockup)  No NVIDIA logo comes up like it used to, just black screen and then the only way to get out is to pull the power!

Thanks for any help!!!  I run liveCDs from other distributions and it works fine, so I'm stumped!

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#2 2007-08-18 16:17:03

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: nvidia black screen lockups after upgrade

It may be that your GPU isn't compatible with the current NVidia drivers. The older drivers are in the repos also.

#3 2007-08-18 16:56:45

jackmetal

skottish wrote:

It may be that your GPU isn't compatible with the current NVidia drivers. The older drivers are in the repos also.

I'll check that out and give it a try.  Any idea which driver I would use for the Qosmio G15 running the Go 6600?  I'm in the process of testing out the latest Fedora, Gentoo and CentOS in the meantime; so I'll have a good option in the off chance I don't get my ArchLinux running again.  (I hope that's not the case, I've always LOVED the simplicity and cleaness of Arch; it would be a bummer to move back to one of the others).

Last edited by jackmetal (2007-08-18 16:59:06)

--

-- Doug Larson

#4 2007-08-18 17:30:31

skottish
Forum Fellow

I don't know where the different cutoffs are for the various NVidia cards, but if the current driver is outdated, the 96xx series should work.

#5 2007-08-18 20:04:04

jackmetal

It's been a couple years since I've looked at other distros, so after looking at the latest Fedora, CentOS and Gentoo, I'll probably be switching to one of them.  They all run after install with my hardware (like ArchLinux used to).  Not sure what changed, but it's a definite bummer to be leaving Arch after running it for a few years.  Maybe I'll be able to come back to it one day.

--

-- Doug Larson

#6 2007-08-18 20:09:27

agilyben

I ran into this same problem.  I still have ArchLinux on a couple of my systems, but can't run it on my laptop w/NVIDIA graphics.  I ended up going with Gentoo and so far I haven't regretted it.  I may end up moving all of my others to Gentoo also, so they'll all be the same.  Unless I somehow manage to get Arch working on my laptop again.  Let me know if you find a fix for it.

#7 2007-08-18 20:23:24

jackmetal

Well, I looked up the support and my GPU is supported by the current driver:      100.14.11-4.  I have the stock kernel and a completely fresh install now.  I tried hwd -x (edited the config and changed to nvidia driver).  I also tried all of the options in the Wiki (How to install NVIDIA driver). 

I've seen others have experienced the lockup and I've tried everything in the other forum threads I found, but it's still locking up.  I still have .71, maybe I'll reload it and see if it even still works; it always has in the past.

--

-- Doug Larson

#8 2007-08-19 05:23:54

detox332

is your card an agp?

with my fx5200, i had to specify:

Option    "NvAgp"    "8"

in xorg.conf

Arch64
KDE4 user

#9 2007-08-21 13:50:29

jackmetal

detox332 wrote:

is your card an agp?

with my fx5200, i had to specify:

Option    "NvAgp"    "8"

in xorg.conf

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, I've moved to the latest Fedora on a number of my systems (this laptop included).  I may stick a small partition out there for Arch and test this out, but as of now Fedora is working perfectly, so I'll probably be sticking with it for a while.

Thanks again!

--

-- Doug Larson

Board footer