You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-16 17:54:36

Obi-Lan

Getting sound from mpd server to client?

..Or did I get it all wrong? I installed mpd on my server, checked the configuration file and started to wonder can I simply listen music from mpd sever with sonata on client computer? Or do I need to configure music stream and listen to that stream with another program?

#2 2007-08-16 18:53:31

Ramses de Norre

Re: Getting sound from mpd server to client?

That's certainly possible, in mpd.conf you can select the interface and port to stream to, so you'll need to select the servers network card and an open port, on the client you can select the incoming port and the host in the client app.

Last edited by Ramses de Norre (2007-08-16 18:54:07)

#3 2007-08-16 19:28:39

Obi-Lan

I read some rtfm and it seems that I have to use icecast to make sound stream over network. And if I add that stream into sonata wich is connected to mpd server I actually make loop of sort and anything doesnt work. So I should need a another client for stream and use sonata as remote to control playlists. This isnt handy anymore so I think use mpd on client side and read music over nfs.

#4 2007-08-21 16:50:10

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm having exactly the same issue: I can listen to music only via m3u files, but the MPD client is just mute.

I think this happens because the output gets redirected to the icecast server, so the question is: is the any way to get the output redirected to both icecast and localhost (or whatever it is to be called)?

At this point the streaming feature becomes useless to me, since I listen to my music on the host machine more often than I do remotely...

Any illumination?

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#5 2007-08-21 17:03:48

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, I managed myself, after discovering there was a sample config file, which also stated that I can have multiple audio output at the same time, so I added my alsa device as another output device, adding the following lines to .mpdconf:

audio_output {
name "local"
type "alsa"
}

And voila`, now I my MPD client works as well as the icecast server smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Board footer