You are not logged in.

#1 2003-03-15 16:47:31

Luis Q. R.

Two apps it would be nice to add to the package database.

The first one I'd like to get with Pacman is Wordtrans and its frontend, Kwordtrans. I'm a Spaniard, and though I'm a fluent English speaker, sometimes I find new words or I can't remember the meaning of others.

The other one is Firestarter. I've read lots of Iptables manuals and I just don't get it, not even having a massive overdose of coffee. Yeah, maybe I'm an ass. But I need a firewall with real time monitoring of attacks. Firestarter needs Gnome2, doesn't specify which parts, and I don't want to install the whole thing  to have a firewall.

Tell me what you think. Bye!

#2 2003-03-16 05:58:00

BluPhoenyx

Re: Two apps it would be nice to add to the package database.

There are many ways to get realtime monitoring but none quite as easy as Firestarter which also has the ability to quickly block IP or ports. A couple of neat utilities for viewing the log files in X are rtail and gktail. Rtail uses colors for multiple outputs but writes directly to the x screen where gktail uses it's own window. Gktail also seems to handle running 24/7 better.

Sadly, it looks like Firestarter requires many of the Gnome standard libraries which may still require other packages due to dependency issues. Of course this may not be a bad thing in the long run since a lot of cool programs also rely on gnome or it's library files.

The following segment is from the configure command in the latest source tarball. It should give some idea which files are needed.

checking for libgnome-2.0 >= 2.0.0
                  libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.0.0
                  gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0... yes
checking FIRESTARTER_CFLAGS... -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/orbit-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/gconf/2 -I/opt/gnome/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/linc-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2  
checking FIRESTARTER_LIBS... -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic -L/opt/gnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui-2 -lSM -lICE -lbonoboui-2 -lxml2 -lpthread -lz -lgnomecanvas-2 -lgnome-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lbonobo-2 -lgconf-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -llinc -lgthread-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0  
Using config source xml::/opt/gnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for schema installation
Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas/ as install directory for schema files

BluPhoenyx

Board footer