You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-25 21:13:24

Kienja Kenobi

Download Arch Packages without Pacman

I have dial up Internet so downloading Arch packages through Pacman is not realistic.  I would like to download the .pkg.tar.gz files from another computer (that has cable) and then install them locally with Pacman on this computer.  I know how to accomplish all of this except the initial download of the packages on the other computer.  I will not be able to use Arch on the other computer so is there any way for me to download packages from within Windows?  I can find the packages I need by searching for them from here: http://www.archlinux.org/packages ,but the only links that are given from each package are to other websites that do not contain Arch binaries.  Is there any way to download Arch packages outside of Arch and without Pacman? 

Thank you very much

Last edited by Kienja Kenobi (2007-08-25 21:31:48)

#2 2007-08-25 21:21:16

ozar

Re: Download Arch Packages without Pacman

You can get packages from any of these mirrors:

http://www.archlinux.org/download/

oz

#3 2007-08-25 21:27:42

shining
Pacman Developer

Kienja Kenobi wrote:

I have dial up Internet so downloading Arch packages through Pacman is not realistic.  I would like to download the .pkg.tar.gz files from another computer (that has cable) and then install them locally with Pacman on this computer.  I know how to accomplish all of this except the initial download of the packages on the other computer.  I will not be able to use Arch on the other computer so is there any way for me to download packages from within Windows?  I can find the packages I need by searching for them from here: http://www.archlinux.org/packages ,but the only links that are given from each package are to other websites that do not contain Arch binaries.  Is there any way to download Arch packages outside of Arch and without Pacman?

pacman get them from the mirrors, so you can do the same.
But you'll have to do the dependencies resolving yourself instead of letting pacman doing it. So good luck with that.

Edit : hell, I'm tired, what I said previously was crazy..

Just do this on your arch box :

pacman -Sp <package>

Then transfer that output to the box with internet, download all the packages, and transfer them back.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2007-08-25 21:30:51

Kienja Kenobi

Thank you!  I agree that the dependency resolving would be annoying, but there is no way for me to install Arch on the other box, so there is no way for me to use Pacman, is there?

#5 2007-08-25 21:33:48

shining
Pacman Developer

Kienja Kenobi wrote:

Thank you!  I agree that the dependency resolving would be annoying, but there is no way for me to install Arch on the other box, so there is no way for me to use Pacman, is there?

Sorry, I edited my post..

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#6 2007-08-25 21:36:47

Kienja Kenobi

Oooo, I see!

Board footer