You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 04:25:15

pjeremy

Need advice on DVB-S card

Hi,
I'm currently considering the Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S plus, but perhaps you could advice me on a better card since I don't know much about dvb-s.
If you have this card or any other card, perhaps you could tell me a bit about the picture quality and ease of use of your card.
I'd also like some opinions on software. Klear seems to be a nice program, judging by the things I read.

pjeremy

#2 2007-08-24 22:12:35

vogets

Re: Need advice on DVB-S card

I'm using this card, it works without hiccups for me, with the standard-arch kernel. *
On the software side i'm using tvtime (for the s-video and composite inputs) and kaffeine (for watching dvb).
Kaffeine works nicely for me. It has nice streaming, recording, time shifting, EPG and scanning functions.

On DVB, the picture quality shouldn't differ from other cards, as it is just a mpeg stream. The quality of the analogue input is easily on par with with my older WinTV card.

* For some reason I don't quite remember, I have cx88_dvb and cx88_alsa in my MODULES - line in my rc.conf, but it might as well work without these entries.

#3 2007-08-26 04:21:55

pjeremy

Re: Need advice on DVB-S card

Thank you for your input, vogets.

Board footer