You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-25 22:31:05

calvinthomas

Cloning System as is to installable media

Hi again all, I'm having a busy night! I've got arch set up really nice now and what I'd like to do is back my machine up exactly 'as is'.  Its only for personal use so I don't even want to be able to change username etc. Is there an easy way to do this? Ideally as a remastered install cd as I'm tightish for harddisk space.

Calv

#2 2007-08-25 22:37:52

milan

Re: Cloning System as is to installable media

Try Ghost for Linux

Cheers!

#3 2007-08-25 22:39:36

shining
Pacman Developer

Are you sure you want to do this ?
By the time you need it, there will probably be newer arch isos, so your install will be outdated.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2007-08-25 23:04:50

ProzacR

Jap I sugest just to save hand-edited config files. Also maybe favorite thermes - thermes ara hard to find sometimes.

#5 2007-08-26 10:44:26

Leigh

Actually, linux is very forgiving when it comes to cloning a system. From a live cd, If you were to tar up all files on each partition and save to cd's, you could restore your whole system just like is. For example if you replaced your hd, you could boot the live cd, mount your hd, and format it to = the same partition or similar scheme of your original, install grub to the mbr, then extract/restore all files you previously saved to cd's making sure they all go to the right place/partition that they were saved from. then your back to normal without having to start from scratch with a complete reinstall. I more or less did this, except I did a complete clone/copy of my system to a usb hd. Every so often when I know the updates are stable, I'll boot the usb system and update it. Afterwards, I unplug the usb drive and set it aside as a back up system.

Of course in my case, after the orginal copying were I used "cp -a" from a live cd to keep all permissions intact. I had to edit fstab and grubs menu.lst to reflect the new hd.

Last edited by Leigh (2007-08-26 10:49:38)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Board footer