You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-26 14:17:42

eyolf
Website

Request: Sample PKGBUILD files for different types of apps

I've been looking through the various tutorials and man pages for makepkg etc., but haven't really found what I'm looking for. In my short but - mostly -- sweet history as a private packager, I've noticed that there are some few fixed types of installations. The easiest is the .configure/make/make install type, but there are others: 
- packages which are based on a binary file (like google-earth, which is a bad example, since it also involves some unpacking of the original file)
- shell scripts (which just need to be put in the right place, but how?)
- installers which lack a .config script, or which use some other compilation tool that the standard (sorry, I'm untechnical here)

Through trial and error, I've realized that some of these types need a first line like mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/ etc., while others don't.
It would have been nice to have gathered in one place, such as the wiki, samples of the most important ones of these types, for quick reference, but also as a practical way of explaining the inner working of makepkg.

What I haven't tried yet, and which is probably beyond the scope of such a quicklist, is the use of pre/post-install scripts, sed lines, etc., but if there are standard solutions even there, it would be a nice inclusion too. 

"Give a man a fish..." etc. (or: "Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a few hours; put him on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life")

Board footer