You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-27 12:56:46

Allan
Pacman
Website

swap fails to load after using gnome-power-manager

I was trying to get some sort of suspend-to-ram working on my laptop and decided to play with gnome-power-manager (since I already use that to monitor my battery in the XFCE system tray).  Unfortunately, I appear to have screwed my system slightly!

Running gnome-power-manager as a user didn't allow me to suspend/hibernate and didn't change screen brightness when removing AC power.  I figure this is due to some dbus settings lock-down. Using sudo, I still could not suspend but hibernate appeared to work...  The only problem is I don't know how to restore from that image and now my swap space won't load during startup.

Firstly, how do I fix the swap issue.  Much less importantly, has anyone got suspend to work using gnome-power-manager (I really don't care about hibernate)?

Edit:  fixed swap forcefully....

sudo mkswap /dev/sda2
sudo swapon -va

Still on a suspend-to-ram quest!

Last edited by Allan (2007-08-27 13:02:49)

#2 2007-08-27 13:15:51

lessthanjake
Website

Re: swap fails to load after using gnome-power-manager

Works out of the box on my machine when gnome-power-manager and pm-utils is installed. My user is member in these groups

disk network video audio optical storage power users vboxusers

This is in rc.conf

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @acpid hal crond alsa uptimed dhcdbd networkmanager gdm @cups)

#3 2007-08-27 13:46:11

Allan
Pacman
Website

It turns out you don't even need pm-utils.  Just add the user to the power group and setup resume in the bootloader.

My only problems are that networkmanager doesn't restart after resume (both disk and ram) and the screen stay black after resume from ram.  Workaround for the screen is <alt+ctrl+f1>, <alt+ctrl+f7>.

#4 2007-08-27 14:05:20

kasa

For problems with suspend-hibernate, i suggest you have a look at this site, maintained by the gnome-power-manager developer:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

#5 2007-08-27 14:50:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

I have mucked around for an hour trying to get the screen and networkmanager to automatically come back on resume but I am still at a loss...  Screen isn't an issue but networkmanager is annoying.  I feel like a newbie ever since I got a laptop!

From what I have found, many tools have script files that you can added extra lines to be run on shutdown/resume.  But I am not using pm-utils, laptop-mode-tools etc.  Where can I tell gnome-power-manager to kill and restart the networkmanager daemon?

Edit:  I am thinking to use the hiberate-script packages to fix-up networkmanger issues.   There appears to be a solution at the end of this page http://www.se.eecs.uni-kassel.de/~thm/L … rx616.html . How do I tell gnome-power-manage to use that script rather that whatever it uses now?  The answer appears to be also at the end of that page but I don't have a /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-hibernate file on my system.  Should I add it?

Last edited by Allan (2007-08-27 15:06:04)

Board footer