You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-27 23:03:24

mac57
Website

"MX1000 Buttons" Wiki Page Posted

This is just a quick note that I have now posted the "MX1000 Buttons" Wiki page that we were discussing here in this forum last week. This page takes you step by step through the process of configuring all of the buttons on the Logitech MX1000 mouse for use with Arch.  Feel free to review, comment, change...

Thanks again to MrWeatherbee for all the help that led to the creation of this page.

BTW MrWeatherbee, it turns out that horizontal scrolling is on buttons 12 and 13 on the MX1000 - that is why it wasn't working initially. Applying my learnings here from last week I discovered this, mapped it correctly and now it works like a champ. You have taught me (and I hope many others through this thread) to fish! Thanks again.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2007-08-28 00:25:58

MrWeatherbee

Re: "MX1000 Buttons" Wiki Page Posted

mac57 wrote:

This is just a quick note that I have now posted the "MX1000 Buttons" Wiki page that we were discussing here in this forum last week. This page takes you step by step through the process of configuring all of the buttons on the Logitech MX1000 mouse for use with Arch.  Feel free to review, comment, change...

Is this it? smile

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MX1000_Buttons

While I haven't read it very, very closely (i.e., I didn't bother trying to nail you for spelling mistakes smile ), the format and general clarity is very nice and coherent.

One point, however. As you asserted in so many words in an earlier post on this topic, sometimes the business of setting up a mouse seemed like magic instead logic. I believe that part of the confusion stemmed a great deal from existing tutorials which advocate(d) the use of:

1. the stock mouse driver
2. Z-axis mapping
3. Xmodmap code which only uses a "scrambled" portion of one's available mouse buttons

Item 2) and 3) were inevitable because the "mouse" driver only supported buttons up to 7, so goofy, hard-to-follow mapping which omitted buttons was required by those other guides.

However, since you use "evdev" in the wiki, as you should, you have no need for and do not use "Z-axis". Great. BUT you still are using a hard to follow Xmodmap'ing given your mouse:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7"

It is hard to follow (my opinion) because it is known that the subject mouse (MX1000), per your tutorial, has 14 buttons available. Would it not make more sense, even if it works without it, to use an Xmodmap containing a mapping using all the buttons? At the least, explain better why the code is truncated at "9". Even if the answer to why is, "Hey, it works without them, so in the interest of code conservation, I removed 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. At least then, anyone reading would not be wondering why you "chose" a nine-button mapping for a 14-button mouse.

Again, it's a minor point in that the code as presented works. But it also clouds a little of the clarity of presentation, especially for those who may have a different mouse and are trying to figure out how to generically apply the guide you have crafted.

Thanks for all your work.

#3 2007-08-28 03:00:32

mac57
Website

This brings up an interesting point MrWeatherbee. It occured to me that I could likely do a complete mouse setup WITHOUT the use of xmodmap at all. Since nearly every browser action has a keystroke shortcut, I *should* be able to simply use the xev and ~/.xbindkeysrc approach to set up all of the "unusual" buttons on this (and any mouse). I have been toying with trying this out - it would REALLY clarify the issue if it could be done. Of course, this assumes that the basics (left click and right click) simply work "out of the box". This is generally true of most mice.

However, to make this Wiki entry complete, I suppose the right thing to do is to start from a wholly non configured environment and lead the gentle reader through the process of mapping EVERY button individually, detemining what lines up with expected behavior and what does not, and then how to fix the "does not" cases with xmodmap where possible and ~/.xbindkeysrc where not.  That was more work than I had time for today, but that is the great thing about Wiki entries - I can keep honing on this one until it is a magnum opus.

In the meantime, I note with some humor that the very statement you take exception to above comes from your original post back to my first question on this topic! smile

Last edited by mac57 (2007-08-28 03:02:35)

#4 2007-08-28 03:08:41

MrWeatherbee

mac57 wrote:

In the meantime, I note with some humor that the very statement you take exception to above comes from your original post back to my first question on this topic! smile

Yea.

But the code as I posted it was for my 9 button Intellimouse, which makes that code and my stance entirely consistent. smile

#5 2007-08-28 15:12:13

mac57
Website

No worries, and I am updating the Wiki today.

In fact, I have now discovered, by going back to an unmapped mouse (just evdev, with no xmodmap and no xbindkeys) and mapping each key/button that xmodmap isn't needed at all, so it will be eliminated from the "recipe" for the MX1000, although I will keep references to why and how to use it to move functions around on the mouse buttons.

Board footer