You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 05:15:13

xelados
Website

Any good suggestions for Flash?

After my Flash stopped working thanks to the recent upgrade, I decided to get rid of all the 32-bit libraries and the nspluginwrapper packages only to find that it was solved here on the forums...

However, now that I don't have any Flash at all, is it better to go through the process with nspluginwrapper again or should I go for gnash? I noticed that it updated recently and it might have improved..

#2 2007-08-29 05:20:59

fwojciec

Re: Any good suggestions for Flash?

During the breakage I've tried gnash (which is far from usable at the moment, IMO, at least the version I've tried), and swfdec/swfdec-mozilla combination which looks promising, plays youtube perfectly, but doesn't play other important stuff like video.google.com for example.  For now I'm back using flash but I will be checking gnash/swfdec periodically and eventually I'll switch to one of them.

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-08-29 05:21:45)

#3 2007-08-29 06:57:46

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Any good suggestions for Flash?

though gnash has much more active developers i still prefer the results of swfdec-mozilla. i think it's the better solution for firefox. it has also better support for control buttons and even plays youtube fullscreen. swfdec never autoplays any banner or video. that prevents your browser crashing due to broken action scripts or huge memory leaks.

but gnash is improving fast. it has also a konqueror plugin and a streaming server. new packages are in testing. see the announcement thread.

both solutions are not yet perfect but for me good enough to live without any lib32 stuff.

Board footer