You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 20:27:07

mrunion
Website

cpufreq Goes from ONDEMAND to POWERSAVE

I have followed the Wiki on setting up cpufreq, etc.  All the settings work fine and I can do a "cpufreq-info" and see that both processors are set to "ondemand".  I can also manually set them to whatever I want using "cpufreq-set -g xxxx".

Now, whenever the CPU0 processor scales up, then falls back it never goes back to "ondemand".  It goes to "powersave".  CPU1 goes back to "ondemand".  For example, I can make sure CPU0 and CPU1 are set to "ondemand".  Then I can run glxgears and both will pop up to "performance".  I can stop glxgears and both CPUs scal back down -- but CPU0 goes down to "powersave" and CPU1 goes back to "ondemand" as it should.

What am I missing?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#2 2007-08-29 20:38:29

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: cpufreq Goes from ONDEMAND to POWERSAVE

Hrmmm sounds weird for sure. Which CPU frequency driver are you running? Are you running a GUI power management tool as well, such as kpowersave or gnome-power-management?

Scaling up or down shouldn't actually change the governor being used so there's definitely something amiss. Is this behaviour following a suspend/hibernate?

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2007-08-29 20:39:44

fwojciec

You can always "rmmod cpufreq_powersave" and blacklist it  in rc.conf (MOD_BLACKLIST array).  That way the powersave governor will not be loaded and used.

If you're using gnome make sure that gnome-power-manager is configured correctly (it's settings would override the cpufreq configuration).  You have to access these settings via gconf-editor.  For KDE someone else would have to chime in...

#4 2007-08-30 03:01:56

mrunion
Website

I am using Gnome and have the two little "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor" icons watching the scaling.  They scale fine, except for CPU0 going back to powersave and not ondemand.

Here's the WIKI I followed:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spe … _SpeedStep

Now, if I remove cpufreq_powersave are you saying it'll probably fall back to cpufreq_ondemand?  What if it "falls back" to cpufreq_performance?

Matt

#5 2007-08-30 03:02:52

mrunion
Website

Oh,  and this behavior follows ANY rise then fall in CPU0's scaling.  It doesn;t have to suspend or hibernate for this to happen.

Matt

#6 2007-08-30 03:36:23

mrunion
Website

OK, here's something funny.  I am using cpudyn.  If I stop it (/etc/rc.d/cpudyn stop) and set the CPU0 back to ondemand (cpufreq-set -g ondemand) it will STAY there.  It won't scale or anything.  CPU1 still scales up and down.  CPU0 DOESN'T scale.  The question I have not then is how to make CPU0 scale automatically without using cpudyn?

Matt

#7 2007-08-30 03:38:21

mrunion
Website

Ok, strike that.  Theyy both scale fine WITHOUT cpudyn.  I'm just going to remove that daemon and use the stuff "as is".  Aparently something else is scaling for me.....

Matt

#8 2007-08-30 04:31:11

thayer
Fellow
Website

Some of the information on the wiki you quoted has been deprecated... Instead, I recommend using cpufrequtils for your base frequency scaling... the wiki can be found here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cpufrequtils

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#9 2007-08-30 13:12:46

mrunion
Website

Ah, ok.  It's all fixed now, though.  I do have the following in my MODULES line:

acpi_cpufreq cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_userspace freq_table

and my DAEMONS line has:

acpid

as one of it's items.  It USED to have "cpudyn" but when I disabled it my problem went away.  so I removed it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Matt

#10 2007-08-30 18:42:36

awagner

FWIW, as far as I understand the governor is responsible primarily for *how* frequencies are changed (very quickly or with some inertia, skipping intermediate frequencies or just stepping through them one by one etc.), but not for preventing them from being changed (ok. performance and powersave are probably exceptions in that they limit the range of available frequencies to only one).
If you're uing cpufrequtils you can set it with cpufreq-set -g <governor>. The actual frequency can be set with cpufreq-set -f <frequency>, but only if you have no intervening governor, i.e. if you have governor "userspace". With cpufreq-info -p you can query the current policy, which gives you: governor, min freq and max freq. In /etc/conf.d/cpufreq you can specify defaults for these three values. I am not sure what the function of cpufreq daemon is, resp. whether I not you need it to be running in order to make such use of cpufrequtils... I'd suggest reading the cpufrequtils wiki page mentioned by thayer.w above and considering adding cpufreq to your daemons.

#11 2007-09-03 04:32:44

circleback

How about using cpufreqd?

Board footer