You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-02 00:44:59

Kienja Kenobi

Change a Mount Point

I have a Lucent Mars WinModem, so I installed the Martian Driver to make Linux see the modem.  I can now connect to the Internet using wvidal, but none of my applications notice that I am connect to the Internet.  I know I am connected because the modem makes its usual sounds.  Am I missing a daemon that I need for my applications to be able to communicate properly? 

Martian, by default, mounts the modem to /dev/ttySM0.  If I could change that mount point to something like /dev/modem I could try it with KPPP.  KPPP just does not have /dev/ttySM0 in its drop-down box of mount-points. 

Martian documentation is sparse, so I have no idea if it is possible to change martian's settings.

Last edited by Kienja Kenobi (2007-09-02 01:11:00)

#2 2007-09-02 22:29:13

kandalf

Re: Change a Mount Point

If I could change that mount point to something like /dev/modem

Usually /dev/modem is a symlink. You can create this file by hand for testing purposes.

I can now connect to the Internet using wvidal, but none of my applications notice that I am connect to the Internet.

Maybe wvdial is not setting the default route, I've never used it, so I can't help you with that, but you can try to set the default route to the ppp0 interface when it is created.

Hope it helps

There's no place like ~

#3 2007-09-03 01:24:57

Kienja Kenobi

Usually /dev/modem is a symlink. You can create this file by hand for testing purposes.

Yes, I was able to create a link to the actual modem that KPPP could use, but then KPPP ran into errors of its own.  (I am working on this in another thread)

Maybe wvdial is not setting the default route, I've never used it, so I can't help you with that, but you can try to set the default route to the ppp0 interface when it is created.

How do I set the default route?  What is the ppp0 interface?

Last edited by Kienja Kenobi (2007-09-03 01:25:33)

#4 2007-09-03 02:55:21

hussam
Website

I think you can have a udev rule to make the symlink persistent for after you reboot.
create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/mymodem.rules and add the following to it.

KERNEL=="ttySM0", SYMLINK+="modem"

Board footer