You are not logged in.

#51 2007-05-09 01:17:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Vim + Firefox!

the only issue I have currently is that vimperator steals my Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keypresses, which isn't a problem on linux, but is on windows

#52 2007-05-10 01:41:24

maxauthority

phrakture wrote:

the only issue I have currently is that vimperator steals my Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keypresses, which isn't a problem on linux, but is on windows

Ctrl-v is an escape key which will make one key have its original meaning, so do a ctrl-v,ctrl-c to copy and a ctrl-v,ctrl-v to paste.

#53 2007-05-10 01:59:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

maxauthority wrote:
phrakture wrote:

Ctrl-v is an escape key which will make one key have its original meaning, so do a ctrl-v,ctrl-c to copy and a ctrl-v,ctrl-v to paste.

Hmm, I'm a bit curious what utility C-v would have in a web browser.  If it _were_ to kill off normal C-* keypresses, it'd be nice for y and p to work in their place.

#54 2007-05-10 03:03:21

dolby

maxauthority wrote:

Biggest improvment is the "I" command, which disables vimperator keys until <esc> to make sites like gmail work.

woa its been a while since i hadnt used mutt to send a mail. gmail is totally unuseable without this

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#55 2007-05-18 15:02:06

turska

Is there any way to remap the keybindings? On some keyboard layouts (including the one I use) '[' (square bracket) requires smashing metakeys and it's really annoyning hmm

#56 2007-05-18 15:49:46

KerowynM

Wow this is great!  vi was my first UNIX editor...  I spent nearly an hour trying to find :wq

Last edited by KerowynM (2007-05-18 15:50:03)

#57 2007-05-18 22:26:27

eyolf
Website

turska wrote:

Is there any way to remap the keybindings? On some keyboard layouts (including the one I use) '[' (square bracket) requires smashing metakeys and it's really annoyning hmm

A :map kind of functionality is planned for v 0.5. Until then, what I've been doing is to edit the file commands.js deep down in the jar file of the extension - That would be the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/vimperator%40mozdev.org/chrome/vimperator.jar/chrome/content/vimperator/commands.js.
Just add your own shortcuts (or replace the existing ones) to the ones that are there (about half-ways down the file), and restart the fox. (if you use krusader, you can edit it without having to unpack and re-pack the jar file. Probably works with konqueror as well?).
Or just wait for 0.5

#58 2007-05-18 22:57:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think unpacking the jar works in firefox too, at least it used to.

#59 2007-08-17 09:34:41

maxauthority

Finally a new version was released, with a HUGE amount of changes:

2007-08-16:
    * version 0.5
        * :map support
    * :bmarks and :history now use the multiline message window for output
    * rename :bm, :bmadd, and :bmdel to :bmarks, :bmark, and :delbmarks respectively
    * new :normal command
    * the command line keeps focus now, even when clicking outside of it
    * vimperator.events.feedkeys("2zi") support for scripts
    * Ctrl-U/Ctrl-D for scrolling the window up/down and the associated
    'scroll' option
    * files in ~/.vimperator/plugin/ are auto-sourced
    * :winopen support (multiple windows still very very experimental)
    * 'activate' option implemented
    * search engines which use POST instead of GET work now
    * :javascript < green, broken sites -> red in the statusbar
    * Vimperator now sets the window title, so it's "vimperator.mozdev.org -
      Vimperator" instead of "vimperator.mozdev.org - Mozilla Firefox"
      Use :set titlestring=... to change it back (help from Hannes Rist)
    * :tabmove command (by Doug Kearns)
    * 'showstatuslinks' option to control where/if we show the destination of
    a hovered link
    * :version! shows firefox version page
    * hovered links appear in the command line again, not statusbar
    * :help now opens in the current tab even for xhtml pages like "about:"
    * hints work on xhtml pages now (you need to reset the 'hinttags' and
      'extendedhinttags' settings with :set hinttags& and :set extendedhinttags&)
    * :set option& resets the option to the default value
    * added :tabonly and :tabrewind and :tablast commands and some futher aliases :tabNext, etc. (by Doug Kearns)
    * added vimparator.vim for .vimperatorrc syntax highlighting in the XPI (by Doug Kearns)
    * Added keyword support for bookmarks to the :[tab]open commands
    * many small bug fixes and enhancements

Have fun with it.

Get it as usual from:
http://vimperator.mozdev.org/index.html

#60 2007-08-17 10:47:12

harlekin

Great!

Thanks for noticing. I relied on firefox' addons update. As this seems not to work with vimperator,

Hail to the thief!

#61 2007-08-17 11:08:18

maxauthority

harlekin wrote:

Great!

Thanks for noticing. I relied on firefox' addons update. As this seems not to work with vimperator,

As i submitted 0.5 for inclusion in
addons.mozilla.org, they require that i don't have any UpdateURL in the
xpi, so "find updates" in the addons dialog does not work, until i get a
UpdateURL from the a.m.o guys.

#62 2007-09-04 10:01:42

shining
Pacman Developer

There is 0.5.1 now :
http://downloads.mozdev.org/vimperator/ … _0.5.1.xpi

2007-09-03:
    * version 0.5.1
    * native / and ? search and n and N working again
    * the URL in the status line can be selected with the mouse again
    * the Windows default RC file is now ~/_vimperatorrc and the plugin
      directory is ~/vimperator/plugin
    * commandline history now works properly on Windows
    * filename completion now works on Windows
    * the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder is now read when bookmarks are first
      loaded - it was skipped entirely in the past
    * fixed search for :open (previously needed to do yikes <tab> ONCE to
      initialize them)
    * added :set {option}! support to toggle a boolean option's value
    * added :set all and :set all& support to show the current value of all
      options and to reset all options to their default value
    * :tabmove! wrapping works again

Emphasis mine, I love that change smile

Last edited by shining (2007-09-04 10:02:36)

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#63 2007-09-04 11:47:16

harlekin

Thank you for notifying!

I am updating right now and especially that n, N are working again is great!

Hail to the thief!

#64 2007-09-07 21:27:30

F

just picked up 0.5.1 and I have to say, this is the ONLY thing that is pulling me away from Opera. vimperator rules.

Since i'm probably going to stick with firefox now, are there any other plugins that you guys recommend? (ie. for popups and such?)

One of the problems I have with vimperator is a popup comes up but when I :q it says "closing this will exit out of the 8 other tabs, do you wish to continue?" and i'm like "what... there's only one tab open with the popup, the other tabs are in a seperate firefox window... " I don't know if thats a bug or if i'm just a firefox noob.

#65 2007-09-07 21:41:23

shining
Pacman Developer

F wrote:

just picked up 0.5.1 and I have to say, this is the ONLY thing that is pulling me away from Opera. vimperator rules.

Since i'm probably going to stick with firefox now, are there any other plugins that you guys recommend? (ie. for popups and such?)

One of the problems I have with vimperator is a popup comes up but when I :q it says "closing this will exit out of the 8 other tabs, do you wish to continue?" and i'm like "what... there's only one tab open with the popup, the other tabs are in a seperate firefox window... " I don't know if thats a bug or if i'm just a firefox noob.

Yes, well, I just do Ctrl+W for closing these popups. Maybe there is a better way.
Otherwise, there is the firefox setting I suggested at the end of this comment :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 92#p275892
But as pointed out by dolby, this setting has a very weird side effect, probably a bug :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 29#p276329

There is also the tab mix plus extension which can achieve the same effect :
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/1122

I also just started using download statusbar, for not having a separate download window :
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/26

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#66 2007-09-08 01:34:54

upsidaisium
Website

shining wrote:

I also just started using download statusbar, for not having a separate download window :
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/26

that's fantastic!  if only i had known before, heh.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#67 2007-09-09 21:05:34

peets
Website

I'd tried this addon a long while ago, but still needed the mouse, and it was just getting in the way. Maybe I've changed, or maybe vimperator just keeps on improving, but I just got it after reading this thread and I am liking it. I still feel like it's a bit of a kludge, but it allows be to browse much more comfortably. Maybe all UIs would benefit from being modal.

Yay, I just discovered that 'u' will bring back a closed tab.

#68 2007-09-16 22:40:16

zodmaner

Nice add on. Really loves it. Thanks for recommending it. smile

Two questions though:

1. Is using vimperator lower Firefox memory usage?

2. Did you guys still use mouse while browsing? big_smile I still find myself relies on mouse a lot. It would be nice to hear how you guys use keyboard to substitute mouse functions.

#69 2007-09-16 22:58:16

buttons

I use the mouse when my hands aren't already at the keys, keyboard when I'm there.

navigation is just f + letters, lowercase for go, uppercase for new tab.  Or ;, letters, o or t.  Easy as mouse.

I think the nicest bit for never using the mouse is qmarks.  Any sites I'll probably visit have qmarks set in my vimperatorrc.   I used to use the Morning Coffee extension to open up loads of tabs depending on the day of the week.  Now I have one letter for each day of the week set to open a dozen tabs, no hassle.  Just go + letter.

Cthulhu For President!

#70 2007-09-17 13:27:50

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I have discovered Vimperator a while ago, and thanks to it I have fancied the idea of a keyboard driven window manager, so I ended up using Ratpoison. I have to say this is the best combination for full usability. I'm very impressed (especially binding the Ratpoison escape key to the Win key instead than C-t - everything is soooo quick). I'm also digging Vim more and more, always thanks to Vimperator big_smile
What a bargain of an extension! big_smile

Let me also say that I find using the quick hint method more productive than clicking with the mouse: sometimes I point some link, but then I look somewhere else in the page, and I lose its location, and it usually takes me quite a bit to relocate it. With the quick hint, instead, I just memorize the letters, and no matter where I look, I just have to press them: they are on my keyboard, not on the screen big_smile
Also I find it more intuitive to manage applications via keyboard, since it's a more direct approach. It's like pressing buttons on the actual windows, instead of emulating my own hands and fingers with the mouse.
This is all so very cool smile

Last edited by finferflu (2007-09-17 14:04:36)

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#71 2007-09-17 13:39:28

buttons

finferflu wrote:

I'm also digging Vim more and more, always thanks to Vimperator big_smile

+1

Cannot possibly agree more.  I used to be an emacs guy, but after tasting gvim it's hard to go back.  Vimperator has seriously helped me learn the keys...far, FAR more than the lengthy tutorial ever did.

Cthulhu For President!

#72 2007-09-18 03:07:47

F

buttons wrote:
finferflu wrote:

I'm also digging Vim more and more, always thanks to Vimperator big_smile

+1

Cannot possibly agree more.  I used to be an emacs guy, but after tasting gvim it's hard to go back.  Vimperator has seriously helped me learn the keys...far, FAR more than the lengthy tutorial ever did.

obviously you don't edit enough text. ;p

p.s. - this post brought to you by vimperator. smile

Board footer