You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 20:12:18

dreadbrazen
Website

Samba issues

So... I've got samba running fine on both my arch linux desktop and my arch linux laptop.  Both computers can be accessed from windows machines.  However, when I try to connect from one of the linux machines to the other,  I get a "no route to host" error.

I have scoured the internet searching for ways to get these two connected, but to no avail.  Every page I come to describes how to network between linux and windows, but not between two linux machines.  I have tried mounting the samba share through smbmount and mount -t smbfs, but that gives the same error.  Also, cannot access the share through nautilus.

Both machine have the same username and password (both in linux and samba).  I've tried setting a -U on smbpasswd with my laptop, but still cannot connect to the desktop.

Any ideas on what might help?

Dread Brazen
"Sweet Zombie Jesus!" - The Professor

#2 2007-09-05 19:03:15

madeye
Website

Re: Samba issues

Have you tried using the IP address of your computers when trying to mount the shares?

You will of course have to use cifs in stead of smbfs. That's no problem though, as the usage is the same.

mount -t cifs //ipaddress/share /local_mountpoint -o username=user

The "-o username=user" may not be necessary if the you use the same username on both machines.

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#3 2007-09-05 19:08:17

wonder
Developer
Website

chmod +s /sbin/mount.cifs
chmod +s /sbin/umount.cifs

my fstab
//192.168.0.3/D /mnt/pepi cifs username=Alexandru,password=1,noauto,users,uid=wonder,gid=users,file_mode=0644 0 0

in nautilus it appears like a device, double click to mount and then it appears on desktop. to umount right click->umount
i know that is not ok to put username and password to fstab instead you can use credentials smile

Last edited by wonder (2007-09-05 19:13:09)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2007-09-06 00:37:35

dschrute

Make sure name resolution is working between the hosts...From host1 ping host2, and vise-versa.  If that isn't working, start there, maybe adding entries to the hosts file for the each machine.  You can also check nmb level resolution with the nmblookup command.  Something like :
nmblookup host1

If name resolution is the issue, the official Samba documentation has some good info :
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sam … wsing.html

Board footer