You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 16:27:41

syan

SOLVED Gedit plugins - Embedded Terminal

Hi all,

First, I apologize if I should have posted this somewhere else.  I wasn't really sure where it should go.

That said, I was recently using gedit in Fedora Core 7 and found that a plugin I had never seen before was included.  I was happy, because the plugin was the Embedded Terminal plugin and I had always thought it would be nice to have access to a terminal from within gedit.

Unfortunately, this plugin doesn't seem to be available in the Arch package.  I thought about trying to make my own package, but I'm not sure I feel up to that at the moment.  Can anyone help me to get this working?  One thing I tried was just downloading the .tar from ftp.gnome.org, taking the relevant files from the .tar and dropping them into first the ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins directory and then the /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/ directory.  I tried this because it worked for the Gemini plugin.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for the terminal plugin.  Doing this makes the plugin appear in gedit's Plugin menu, but it is grayed out and can't be selected.

So I'm not sure what I should try next.  The nicest scenario would be if someone more experienced than me could make a new package with this plugin included, but I'm sure people have more pressing concerns than writing a new package to get one plugin working.  In the meantime, any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by syan (2007-09-06 02:42:06)

#2 2007-09-03 17:10:35

nikron

Re: SOLVED Gedit plugins - Embedded Terminal

I'm fairly sure it's greyed out because you haven't chmoded the file executable

#3 2007-09-03 17:30:46

syan

Thanks for the reply, Nikron.

Could you please be a little more specific?  Do you mean the terminal.py file included in the plugin?  Or are you referring to some other file?

I just tried:

chmod a+x terminal.py
chmod a+x terminal.pyc

but it does not seem to be working.

More accurately, the chmod is working, but it is not making the plugin work for me.

Last edited by syan (2007-09-03 17:31:50)

#4 2007-09-03 17:55:44

nikron

I was assuming that the terminal plugin was like nautilus plugins, which I have used before.  But where exactly is the plugin located in ftp.gnome.org?

#5 2007-09-03 18:16:13

syan

I don't remember *exactly* where I downloaded it from.  But I think it may have been here:

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/Public/GNOME/source … 8.0.tar.gz

#6 2007-09-03 18:22:21

Thrillhouse

Is the embedded terminal plugin not one of those provided by the gedit-plugins package in the AUR?

http://tinyurl.com/3xgaa7

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#7 2007-09-03 18:59:56

syan

Thanks, Thrillhouse, you seem to be right.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a PKGBUILD file in there...  Am I correct in my understanding that there should be one there already?  Any advice on what I should do?

#8 2007-09-03 19:36:23

Thrillhouse

The PKGBUILD is there.

#Contributor: Renan Goncalves <rsgnan@gmail.com>
pkgname=gedit-plugins
pkgver=2.16.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="gedit plugins"
arch=(i686)
url="http://live.gnome.org/GeditPlugins"
depends=('libgnomeprintui' 'gtksourceview' 'gucharmap')
source=(ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gedit-plugins/2.16/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('cfccf404f925c66878717562a6d0a86a')
license="GPL"

build() {
   cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
   ./configure --prefix=/usr
   make || return 1
   make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

I just used aurbuild to install it and now have an embedded terminal in gedit but if you don't have aurbuild already, you'll have to install it the old fashioned way with makepkg.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#9 2007-09-06 00:05:28

syan

Thanks, Thrillhouse. 

I used the link you showed me and everything worked...  I just didn't see the PKGBUILD link there - I thought it would be included in the archive.  I couldn't get Aurbuild installed with pacman -U, so I just installed it the old-fashioned way.  Worked perfectly.

#10 2007-09-06 03:27:13

Thrillhouse

Glad you got it. smile

I wouldn't give up on that aurbuild just yet.  It's a great tool if you can get it to work.  You say you couldn't get it installed with pacman -U, does that mean makepkg was successful?  Usually if I build the package successfully, I have no problem installing it.

Board footer