You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-01 15:21:41

madeye
Website

PS2 mouse loosing wheel function when switching with KVM

Hello everyone,

I've used the last couple of days struggling with a problem with my arch linux where my mouse won't use the scroll wheel after switching my KVM. From a search here on the forum I deduced that I'm not the only one with that particular problem. Unfortunately noone seems to have found a solution. (None that I could find...)

What I have tried is:

* Change the mouse protocol in my xorg.conf file : auto, IMPS/2 and ExplorerPS/2 are the one's I could think of. Actually ExplorerPS/2 is the one used in my kubuntu setup, and there it works just fine!?

* Used xev to see if my wheel is triggering any response : Well, it doesn't. sad

* Compared the udev rules in my kubuntu setup to them in arch :  I don't truly understand the rules, so I'm not sure if there is something to be gained from this. There are a lot more rules files in kubuntu.

* Run "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" : The list of devices contains two references to mice.
Mouse0 is "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
Mouse1 is "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" (my mouse)
I'm also a bit unsure what to do with this info, but it seems the wrong mouse is recognized. Is there a way to force X to use mouse1?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. And if you have any ideas to what I can try, don't hesitate to write. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If a copy of some of my config files are needed, just let me know.

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#2 2007-04-02 09:55:35

Captain Spaulding
Website

Re: PS2 mouse loosing wheel function when switching with KVM

I guess this is happening when you switch from your Kubuntu box to your Arch box, right? Please post the ServerLayout and any InputDevice section from your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

#3 2007-04-03 14:05:18

madeye
Website

Actually it happens when I switch between arch and any of my other computers connected to the kvm. (windows and kubuntu)

Here is the serverlayout

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

and the input section

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"        "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"        "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"        "dk"
    Option        "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
    Option        "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I noticed something today. When I lose the function of my mouse wheel, the wheel on my keyboard works instead? Don't know if that could be helpful in finding a solution.

#4 2007-09-07 15:33:14

madeye
Website

This problem still exists, but for the last half year I've just ignored it. Then today I finally discovered a workaround for the loss of my mousewheel function. (Yeah I know I should have thought of this earlier hmm )

# modprobe -r psmouse
# modprobe psmouse

will make the wheel work again. Maybe I can make some kind of script to do this? But would it be able to do it on it's own when I've switched between two computers?

Board footer