You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 23:52:40

FeatherMonkey

KVM Switch seems to misbehave in kde.

When using the kvm switch to swap between PC's when i come back to Arch all my shortcuts go haywire. Capslock reverses its self, so caps lock on means cap locks off, shift letter acts like ctrl letter i.e trying to type in a message box in konqueror shift t gives me a new tab. Bash behaves strange it gives me ctrl letters again, i.e typing s I get (i-search). Scroll wheel will zoom in/out fonts in konqueror rather than the default scroll up/down.

Following links opens a new tab where it would follow the link and open in the same tab. I've run out of ideas I tried re-installing all of kdebase, I tried both kernels, now I'm stuck I can't see anything in the logs. Any ideas much appreciated.

It can be cured by typing reset in console, sometimes I need ctrl j a couple of times.

This is kdemod 3.5.7-18 with either the latest ck kernel or the default Arch one.

My apologies if someone thinks this belongs somewhere else please move it.

#2 2007-09-04 00:15:30

skoal
Website

Re: KVM Switch seems to misbehave in kde.

Does the KVM switch actually have a physical button, or do you tap the keyboard scroll lock button twice (or use another key) to switch?  Is the Arch box a laptop perchance? And are you plugging in the USB or PS/2 KVM connections on the fly already booted up?

\\//_

#3 2007-09-04 00:25:03

FeatherMonkey

Ok this is 2 desktops with a usb KVM normally tap ctrl ctrl 1 for one ctrl ctrl 2 for the other. These are consistent connections not unplugged always plugged in.

Not getting any strange affects in the other OS/pc keyboard behaves as expected kernel is a lot younger though. I'm not really sure but I have had a kdebase(tried rolling back) update plus kernel. Took me a little while to realise and associate it with using the kvm. Though now I know it happens, it does every time.

I just wouldn't of thought this would affect my Bash/X as I've also seen some corruption on tty1 also. Though combined with kde environment I'm lost as to what is actually causing this.

#4 2007-09-04 03:04:10

skoal
Website

Well, that rules out my first suspicion.  If rubbing a clove of garlic over your case doesn't spook the boogeyman out of your box, you might want to consider....

The mouse wheel zoom is of particular interest.  Sounds like a stuck ctrl key (which will give you the zoom).

Got a spare keyboard? Try swapping them out for the console connections.

Double check under "Regional & Accesibility" in KDE for any non default key bindings, particularly, any using ctrl ctrl.

Create a bogus user with a fresh ~/.kde and see if it is reproducable.

Try plugging in the KVM cables of the offending box into another USB port.  Also, check dmesg for any spurious activity on those usb channels.

Unlikely, but also check the keyboard options in xorg.conf. 

In my experience with KVMs, the worst I have seen is a dead KVM.  No response. Just flatlined completely.

\\//_

#5 2007-09-04 09:49:46

FeatherMonkey

Thanks Skoal

Garlics not working, but think that's all I'm left with.

After posting last night out of curiosity I un-installed kdemod installed kde proper rolled back a kernel still the same. I'm pretty sure its unrelated to kde or the kernel now so I suspect its the kvm. I've got nothing bound to ctrl ctrl.

What I find strange is the recovery, why does ctrl j several times or sometimes in a new konsole window followed with reset work, why would this affect my kvm or the way its being interpreted?

Now to try a new user Fingers crossed this works but I got a feeling this won't be the case afterwards I'll try another usb port. After that as I've not got another keyboard(Though I'm 100% input devices are fine as the other OS isn't showing any strange symptoms)  I'll swap the ends of the kvm and see if I can make it happen on the other OS.

Dmesg is empty I get no mentions when it happens, I monitored it whilst doing it and prowled all the logs just to make sure.

I'll post back if there is a solution but I think one side of the kvm is on its way out perhaps.

#6 2007-09-10 11:20:09

FeatherMonkey

Ok I'm pretty sure I solved this but I find the solution a little strange.

For some reason its gone since I disabled sticky keys I'm not even sure where the option is. It popped up asking about sticky keys so I disabled them now switching seems fine.

This my solution at the mo, its been fine for several days now, so its the only conclusion I can come to.

Board footer