You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-04 16:43:55

hcjl

start synergyc (synergy client) at bootup

hi all,

does anyone have an idea how to start synergyc (synergy client, tool to control more than one pc with 1 keyboard/mouse via network) at archlinux boot? i put "synergyc ip.remote.host" in /etc/rc.local, but it does not connect to the server.

in the log i receive "Synergy 1.3.1: WARNING: synergyc.cpp,337: cannot open secondary screen: unable to open screen".

both screens are setup on the server (winxp workstation).
if i log on as normal user onto the x-server and start the same command in the shell it works without any problems. obviously it only works out of x. does anbody have a clue, whether it is possible to start while booting?

thx for help & rgds
hcjl

#2 2007-09-04 17:45:31

hacosta

Re: start synergyc (synergy client) at bootup

afaict the xserver needs to be already up before you can connect.. maybe .xinitrc is a better place for synergyc

#3 2007-09-06 08:13:44

hcjl

hi hacosta,

thx for support, but i did not work out. i receive the same error message as posted earlier.

i only can start the client successfully when i am logged in into x.

any other ideas?

thx & rgds
hcjl

#4 2007-09-06 12:36:41

gothmog.todi

Which wm/de are you using? in gnome you could let the session-manager handle the start of synergyc.

#5 2007-09-10 07:49:38

hcjl

i am using gnome, but i cannot even start it automatically, if i put it as an entry in the gnome session manager. the only thing which works is, logging in into gnome open a terminal an start it.

#6 2007-09-10 16:53:26

khordes

hi, don't post too often, but I have set up synergy to autostart a few times.  Here is the relevant portion for the synergy website, hopefully this helps you out:

Unix

Synergy requires an X server. That means a server must be running and synergy must be authorized to connect to that server. It's best to have the display manager start synergy. You'll need the necessary (probably root) permission to modify the display manager configuration files. If you don't have that permission you can start synergy after logging in via the .xsession file.

Typically, you need to edit three script files. The first file will start synergy before a user logs in, the second will kill that copy of synergy, and the third will start it again after the user logs in.

The contents of the scripts varies greatly between systems so there's no one definite place where you should insert your edits. However, these scripts often exit before reaching the bottom so put the edits near the top of the script.

The location and names of these files depend on the operating system and display manager you're using. A good guess for the location is /etc/X11. If you use kdm then try looking in /etc/kde3 or /usr/kde/version/share/config. Typical file names are:

xdm            kdm            gdm
1         xdm/Xsetup         kdm/Xsetup         gdm/Init/Default (*)
2         xdm/Xstartup         kdm/Xstartup         gdm/PostLogin/Default (*)
3         xdm/Xsession         kdm/Xsession         gdm/Sessions/Default (*, **)

*) The Default file is used if no other suitable file is found. gdm will try displayname (e.g. :0) and hostname (e.g. somehost), in that order, before and instead of Default.
**) gdm may use gdm/Xsession, xdm/Xsession or dm/Xsession if gdm/Sessions/Default doesn't exist.

For a synergy client, add the following to the first file: /usr/bin/killall synergyc sleep 1 /usr/bin/synergyc [<options>] synergy-server-hostname Of course, the path to synergyc depends on where you installed it so adjust as necessary.

Add to the second file: /usr/bin/killall synergyc sleep 1

And to the third file: /usr/bin/killall synergyc sleep 1 /usr/bin/synergyc [<options>] synergy-server-hostname Note that <options> must not include -f or --no-daemon or the script will never exit and you won't be able to log in.

The changes are the same for the synergy server except replace synergyc with synergys and use the appropriate synergys command line options. Note that the first script is run as root so synergys will look for the configuration file in root's home directory then in /etc. Make sure it exists in one of those places or use the --config config-pathname option to specify its location.

Note that some display managers (xdm and kdm, but not gdm) grab the keyboard and do not release it until the user logs in for security reasons. This prevents a synergy server from sharing the mouse and keyboard until the user logs in. It doesn't prevent a synergy client from synthesizing mouse and keyboard input, though.

If you're configuring synergy to start only after you log in then edit your .xsession file. Add just what you would add to the third file above.

taken from http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ On the left of that website check out autostarting for more information. Hope this helps.

cheers,
khordes

#7 2007-09-10 18:27:46

hcjl

hi,

thx a lot. today i found the same. if you go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=48196 and follow insti's last comment then you get the shit done.

rgds
hcjl

#8 2007-09-10 23:22:09

iphitus
Forum Fellow

It's worked for me in the past using the gnome-session-properties dialog and adding it to startup there.

Board footer