You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-11 02:20:50

p1ls

Problem Connection

Hey all, i just installed my new arch system, but theres a problem with my internet connection.
Im using a router to connect internet to 4 other pcs. One is wireless, and 3 using cable. So i connected my laptop throurgh the cable to my router which uses DHCP ( whenever i restart my router ill get a diffrent ip so its dynamic )

So in the rc.conf i the defualt stuff to

eth0="dhcp"
INTERFRACES="lo eth0"
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTERS=(gateway)

Now when im trying to install gnome, using pacman ( pacman -S gnome ) it says extra : did you use --refresh yet, and later when im trying to update some files using pacman -Syu it says theres no connection...

How am i suppose to fix it?

Thanks

#2 2007-09-11 02:33:29

fwojciec

Re: Problem Connection

First, I don't know if this is just a typo or this is how you have it in rc.conf but it's "ROUTES" not "ROUTERS".  Second, if you using DHCP i think (I don't use DHCP, but I'm pretty sure about this) you should have ROUTES=(!gateway).  Third, which you probably know, after changing stuff in rc.conf you have to do "/etc/rc.d/network restart" as root for the changes to take effect.

#3 2007-09-11 03:01:30

p1ls

Okay, i just reformated my pc because i think i messed up some files...
Now what i did, log on,

nano /etc/rc.conf

changed only thing eth0="dhcp", nothin else, later i put /etc/rc.d/network restart and when it says Starting Network i get an error saying [FAILED] ;(

So what should I do now?

#4 2007-09-11 03:50:08

fwojciec

Well, network restart command would say fail at some stage if no network daemon was running previously, but if the command worked it should say [done] at the end somewhere.

Anyways, it's difficult to say what is wrong given how little info you gave us.  Can you post the relevant (network) section from your rc.conf, and maybe also the output of "ifconfig" command?

The correct settings in rc.conf (for eth0 wired connection using DHCP) should look something like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, because I use static IP so I'm not 100% sure):

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#

gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

Board footer