You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 15:17:10

fiod

Quick vmware question

Hey

A quick vmware question:

Can VMWARE be used to run a Windows system that is already installed on my computer (I dual-boot with GRUB)
or do I have to re install Windows?

If not, do you know of another program that can do that?

Tnx
Fiod

#2 2007-09-03 17:51:28

mrbug

Re: Quick vmware question

I know that the higher-end version of VMWARE has a program that converts physical disks to virtual disks.

Also, I'm reasonably sure that with VirtualBox (and possibly QEMU and Xen) you can do a

dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/file/WindowsXP.img

to make a disk image of the physical drive and VB will be able to use it.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#3 2007-09-03 20:29:03

Lone_Wolf

Yes, it can be done.

You can have vmware workstation use a physical drive for the vm instead of a virtual drive.
You will probably get a stop error from windows on booting.

There are ways to solve this by "cloning" the disk to a virtual disk with the P2V program (mentioned by mrbug in the previous post) that comes with vmware workstation 6 .

However, if you use another vmware product OR want to have the option to boot windows directly AND run it as a virtual machine, you need to change some things in windows for it to work.

Tell us which vmware product/version you are using and if you want to be able to boot windows directly, then we can help you further.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2007-09-04 02:16:39

mrbug

To follow up on Lone_Wolf's post, there is a trick to getting Windows to "like" different hardware (physical or virtual). Before cloning (or transferring) the system, you must remove ALL motherboard chipset-specific drivers. Windows XP is tied to the IDE drivers for some reason, so if you move the boot to a different motherboard (or even IDE expansion card), it will die with a BSOD stop error.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#5 2007-09-11 08:02:43

raku

it is possible to use Windows on physical disk and in VM machine. Search forum for my posts - I've written simple how-to-do-it.
I usually run Windows XP from VMware Server but when I need to get pure Windows, I just boot it from grub. And I am talking about THE SAME Windows system, installed on my /dev/hdc1 partition.

raku

Board footer