You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-09 19:21:29

Niall

A few problems - post installation

Ok, sorry for asking, usually I ALWAYS try my luck with google, however I've ran into a few problems and don't have the time to search for my problems on google.

Ok, so when I start up Archlinux, it tends to stall, and I have to remove my powercable(I'm installing it on a Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Turion 64 processor, fairly sure this processor is not 64bit despite it's name), that seems to give me some response and from thereon I need to press the enter key when it stalls, when I got to the login screen, and logged in using root(no pass), I started following this guide, type in nano -w /etc/pacman.conf, it loads /ect/pacman.conf, an empty file. This is why I'm posting rather than searching google. Could it be that it's displaying an empty file because I'm not booted on say, /home/, but booted on /, or vise versa? During the install, I couldn't help but lower the space /home/ took, the rest of my harddrive leaving no spare space, and I think /home/ installed to sda4, root on sda3, and if my memory is correct, grub is booting into sda3, but I can't be sure.

So, what I'm asking really is, have I gone wrong somewhere, or missed a vital step? Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, I'm also using ArchLinux Don't Panic.

Last edited by Niall (2007-09-09 19:27:50)

#2 2007-09-09 21:39:25

sinister99

Re: A few problems - post installation

what filesystem are you using on /

your pacman.conf definitely should not be empty, make sure you are editing the right file and didn't mistype something.

#3 2007-09-09 21:51:10

Sigi

Welcome to the Arch Forum, Niall

Could you please provide a little more information what you mean by "stall"? Are there any error messages, etc?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#4 2007-09-09 22:05:52

elgatofelix

Niall wrote:

... root on sda3, and if my memory is correct, grub is booting into sda3, but I can't be sure.

be sure

Are u listening?

#5 2007-09-10 07:58:35

Niall

Sigi wrote:

Welcome to the Arch Forum, Niall

Could you please provide a little more information what you mean by "stall"? Are there any error messages, etc?

It just seems to stop at this point:

CPU 0 has switched to high resolution mode
CPU 1 has switched to high resolution mode

I'm not sure if it's still loading in the background, but after 5 mins still nothing(and it takes about 1 minute after pulling the power cable out and putting it back in to load the login page) so I'm not sure.

I've tried to cd into directorys such as /home/, /boot/, /, but still, it's an empty file.

sinister99 wrote:

what filesystem are you using on /

your pacman.conf definitely should not be empty, make sure you are editing the right file and didn't mistype something.

I'm using ext3 on both / and /home/, and I double checked it before I typed it.

I did a clean install, and I'm fairly sure I'm booted onto /. /ect/pacman.conf is still an empty/new file.

Last edited by Niall (2007-09-10 10:32:34)

#6 2007-09-10 14:26:33

Lone_Wolf

Try booting up with an usb-mouse attached.

Also check your typing it MUST be /etc/pacman.conf

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2007-09-10 15:34:27

rson451
Website

yeah youve mistyped etc a few times in your posts. make sure its etc not ect.. in your head think etsy, thats how i know im typing it right.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#8 2007-09-11 16:48:14

Niall

rson451 wrote:

yeah youve mistyped etc a few times in your posts. make sure its etc not ect.. in your head think etsy, thats how i know im typing it right.

Yeah, sorry, I noticed that last night. I feel so stupid. tongue

Board footer