You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-10 08:17:13

ssl6

custom installation CD

i'm not sure if im posting in the right forum. but since im testing arch linux on a seperate machine right now to make sure i can get everything working. would it be possible for me to make an iso of my installaiton cd, open it up, and add the packages i downloaded from the repos or built myself to that image and burn it to a DVD to install at home. since i have dialup and my desktop is a heavy sob and if i can avoid carrying it out to a friends, i'd like to do that

or would i have to modify the setup configuration itself for it to see the extra packages? im looking at the cd right now and it just has a pkg folder, thats why im wondering if i could just add/remove the stuff i want and dont want and just do a full install to my desktop and save updating and rebuilding everything again

this is a signature

#2 2007-09-10 08:50:35

gothmog.todi

Re: custom installation CD

#3 2007-09-10 17:17:06

ssl6

ya, that helps, i was searching the wiki last night at work. couldn't find anything, i guess i'm used to using MS style keywords........

this is a signature

#4 2007-09-10 17:24:04

ssl6

so all i have to is mount the iso to edit it and add my packages and run gensync, i dont really know enough to change anything else

what does it mean by running gensync?

this is a signature

#5 2007-09-11 03:23:42

elgatofelix

i have joined some scripts to:
-download all packages in repository from a rsync server
-and remake the iso from a folder
    mount the iso and copy the contents to CIDIROM folder it will match with folders' contents
    then remaster the contents adding/removing (the archive has a script to download all packages)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/4ad9be93-6acc … nstall.tar

i used it i burnst a DVD with almost all packages in repostories with this
checkit

Are u listening?

#6 2007-09-11 21:11:10

Lone_Wolf

ssl6 wrote:

so all i have to is mount the iso to edit it and add my packages and run gensync, i dont really know enough to change anything else

what does it mean by running gensync?

In the /arch/pkg folder you will see current.db.tar.gz , this holds the database pacman uses for the packages in that folder.

Gensync  / repo-add / repo-remove are commands used to update such db.tar.gz files .

In order to get the packages on your installation these steps are needed :

1. put the packages and dependencies in /arch/pkg
2. update the db.tar.gz
3. edit /arch/pkg/setup/packages.txt  to include the added packages, else you won't be able to choose them in the 'select packages' part of the installer.

(i had to figure out this to install arch on a pc with a hardware raid on a rocketraid controller last weekend, i intend to correct the wiki this week).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2007-09-13 20:56:41

ssl6

yeah, i ended up making 2 coasters. its not working for me, i'm trying to port over the updated apps from my pacman cache. i tried using that python script on the wiki, gave me some dependency issue

would of been nice to have a disc ready to install on my desktop tomorrow. but i've given up on that, i figure if i'm going to have to reinstall everything all over on my desktop, i might as well go 64bit

this is a signature

Board footer