You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-10 01:13:38

elasticdog
Website

weechat goes funky when resizing terminal

Whenever I resize the terminal window in which weechat is running, it's like the geometry changes aren't communicated to weechat sucessfully and the display gets all funky.  It's not that big of a deal, except I like to run weechat inside of screen, and if I try to split screen's window, weechat basically becomes unusable...any ideas on how to resolve it?

#2 2007-02-10 02:38:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: weechat goes funky when resizing terminal

I think this is (kinda like the last thread, heh) a terminfo issue.
Let's run the gamut:
* what terminal are you using when starting screen? what is the $TERM?
* what is $TERM inside screen?
* what is $TERM when reattaching to screen?

#3 2007-02-10 03:41:18

elasticdog
Website

Yeah, I seem to be running across terminal issues lately...thank for the help though phrak!
* it does the exact same thing whether I use Xfce's Terminal directly on my Arch box or SSH in with either putty or securecrt from windows.
* echo $TERM while outside of screen reports 'xterm' in all cases, and echo $TERM inside of screen reports 'screen' in all cases.
* it does the exact same thing even if I don't use screen and just resize the terminal window...however I've asked a couple people on IRC (including in the #weechat channel) and they said that splitting screen works just fine with weechat.

#4 2007-02-10 04:58:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

TERM=xterm should work under putty (it's xterm compatible, IIRC).  Just for kicks, try "xterm-color" or "xterm-256color" - putty works with both (I use xterm-256color).  I don't know about Terminal though.  I'd kinda expect it to have it's own terminfo.
Can you try it in xterm?

#5 2007-02-10 19:30:34

elasticdog
Website

okay, I downloaded and tried xterm and it did the exact same thing, and the $TERM was xterm as expected.  I also decided to try and download aterm just for fun, and it actually worked as it should and the resizing wasn't a problem...it's $TERM was set to 'rxvt'.  Poking around in Xfce's Terminal preferences, I can actually set the $TERM setting to whatever I want, but if I change it do rxvt, it still doesn't resize correctly.

Adding screen in to the mix, it doesn't matter which actual terminal emulator I'm using, since when inside of screen, $TERM is always reported to be 'screen' and the output gets funky when resized.  I'm not sure if that brings us any closer or not...all the terminfo/termcap stuff pretty much just confuses me.  Any other thoughts on what to try or information that would be helpful?

#6 2007-02-11 11:07:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah terminfo confuses everyone (FTR termcap is pretty much deprecated, though I think debian still uses it).

Some questions that MAY be unrelated... what "charset" weechat settings do you have (just type /setp, with no args)?
Also, what's your locale set to?

Just another check: does it work in rxvt-unicode (urxvt) ?

#7 2007-02-11 12:08:01

Stalwart
Website

WeeChat should work fine if locale and terminal charset is set correctly. Since 0.2.2 we have brand new charset handling system

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#8 2007-02-11 17:29:02

elasticdog
Website

My locale is set to en_US.UTF-8.  /setp charset.global.decode was set to "ISO-8859-1", but I changed it to "UTF-8" and it made no difference.  I also tried changing it to just "UTF8", just for kicks, but that didn't do it either.  I redid a bunch of testing with all the terminals again under each of those modes, and downloaded and tested urxvt as you requested.  Just like aterm, urxvt worked as it should when not under screen, but within screen the resizing problem came back.  It didn't seem to matter if I started screen with the -U (run screen in UTF-8 mode) or not.  Is my system that much different than everyone else's?  Thanks for your continued support...me = hmm

#9 2007-02-11 19:46:12

Stalwart
Website

Many people report resizing problems in screen, but we can't figure out where's trouble

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#10 2007-02-11 20:58:25

elasticdog
Website

So it's a known problem and being worked on?  Whew...at least I can switch to urxvt when on my home machine and not have issues as long as I'm not using it under screen.

#11 2007-09-12 15:01:59

appolito

Hi. I had the same problem with weechat as elasticdog describes. The source of problems was this one line in /etc/profile (I source /etc/profile into my .zshrc):

export COLUMNS LINES

After commenting this line out weechat works fine even in screen.

Last edited by appolito (2007-09-12 15:03:39)

Board footer