You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-13 23:35:14

suicideducky
Website

[solved[new to arch: boot manager-ing XD

ok well seeming this is my 1st post on this here forum ill do a short intro, if you dont mind neutral
Greeting all
my names chris, im 16 and reside in Wellington, New Zealand.
I've had an interest in programming since about the age of 11 (started with VB 6 and VisualC++ 6)
I was first introduced to linux at the age of about 10 or so. fedora core 1 or 2?!?
I currently use Gentoo linux as I have been for just under a year now or so, and would like to give arch a go.
ideally id like to have gentoo, arch and LFS running all from my HDD but thats down the track.

ok now for my q,
heres my partitioning layout (basic, i know!)
s/hda1 boot
s/hda2 swap
s/hda3 gentoo root
s/hda4 fresh arch base install

the reason for me putting them as s/hda* is because arch identified them as sda* and then gentoo identifies them as hda*....
but i decided to use my already installed version of grub located in sda1 (placed there by Gentoo) as my bootloader, added in the following lines

title=Arch Linux
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda4 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

title=Arch Linux Fallback
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda4 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

and whats fun about this is the fallback works, but the standard does not.
the kernel26.img version of my kernel seems to fail and complains the deadly error of
kernel panic, attempted to kill init!
and this is all due to it not being able to locate 'sda4', BTW which it can seem to find all so easily in the fallback version.

please note, sda1 contains only the gentoo installed grub and my menu.lst(grub.conf)with the added above two lines. i plan to place all the gentoo files in sda3/boot and all the arch files in sda4/boot and then leave grub ONLY in sda1
any suggestions for this would also help ^^ i also asked the gentoo people(s) about moving them, but they are yet to reply. whomever can 1st gets a cookie! (GST and postage and handling at your own expense)

any ideas on my kernel error?
thanks again, Ducky.

SOLUTION

mkinitcpio -k 2.6.22-ARCH -g /boot/kernel26.img

Last edited by suicideducky (2007-09-14 01:10:15)

#2 2007-09-14 00:06:50

lucke

Re: [solved[new to arch: boot manager-ing XD

Check your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and run "mkinitcpio -k 2.6.22 -g /boot/kernel26.img" to rebuild the image. There's an article on mkinitcpio somewhere in the wiki, read that for more info.

Welcome to Arch.

Last edited by lucke (2007-09-14 00:07:13)

#3 2007-09-14 00:09:51

suicideducky
Website

Re: [solved[new to arch: boot manager-ing XD

Thanks XD
will do
even figured out the A to my other Q
(hd0,0) needs to become (hd0,2)

and i think my install cd may be screwy because two installs and same error, will try mkinitcpio.
thanks again, Ducky

Board footer