You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-14 10:05:46

dezza

[SOLVED] "Downloading package list..." hangs!

I have the latest ArchLinux 2007.08.1 (Don't Panic) ISO.

The first time I tried to install i did get trough "Select Packages" and got a whole system (3 days ago), then I found out, that I had forgot to make my partition bootable in cfdisk, and I rammed my head to the table. I got started reinstalling right away, but this time it wouldn't download the package list, when I selected the menu "Select Packages", it just hangs with the text "Downloading package list..." .. I tried this 3-4 times, before I changed the mirror to ftp.hosteurope.de instead of ftp.archlinux.org .. This didn't help neither.. I let it run like this all night with ftp.hosteurope.de, well I actually fell in sleep in front of the telly axciously waiting for it to finally retrive that god damn list! In the morning I rebooted again, this time I choose another mirror, didn't help!

As I said, I've been trough before, and I'm not behind a proxy or anything! It just stopped working out of the blue..

Are all mirrors just really messed up these days? Or is it the installer which is screwed?

Pinging ftp.archlinux.org just timeouts first time, and then with a ping of 145ms, connecting to the ftp just gives Connected quickly and then right after Connection failed (Connection lost) ..

ftp.hosteurope.de is not more than a ping of 30-40ms and can easily be connected to trough FTP..

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dezza (2007-09-14 13:03:49)

#2 2007-09-14 10:20:59

dolby

Re: [SOLVED] "Downloading package list..." hangs!

would http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7809 describe your problem? if yes plz reopen it.
also i would like to hear what kind of  your NIC u got

last but not least i dont think it matters if u flag a partition bootable or not tongue

Last edited by dolby (2007-09-14 10:26:08)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-09-14 10:50:32

dezza

I have the onboard Marvell Yukon 8053 (Gigabyte 965P-DQ6) Gigabit-Ethernet NIC .. And as I said, it worked before ..

The bug you linked to is not near my problem, the problem is that it won't let my download the package list when I select "Select Packages" ..

Why doesn't it matter?

I also noticed this:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/iso/2007.08.1/Known-Issues.txt

That was actually the kind of problems I had when I thought it was about flagging my boot partition bootable or not.. I've followed these steps now, Now I am just waiting to get a connection trough :S

Now I will be calling my ISP to let them know that my internet is running strangely, I've noticed now that sometimes I can't open connections, and at other times it goes trough. I'll let you know if this is a problem with my ISP/router or internet connection, I've already tried to power on/off my router and modem and I've updated router firmware.

Last edited by dezza (2007-09-14 10:52:13)

#4 2007-09-14 11:01:55

dolby

dezza wrote:

Why doesn't it matter?

because i doesnt. have u ever tried booting into the installation without flagging a bootable partition? in my occasion it has always worked despite that

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2007-09-14 11:20:17

dezza

Can you explain to me what it means then?

#6 2007-09-14 13:03:30

dezza

ISP fixed problem!

[solved]

Board footer