You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-15 01:37:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

laptop (thinkpad X60) won't reboot

Hey all,

I finally got around to installing Arch on my laptop; its been running ubuntu these past months. I didn't know this machine could be this fast. ;-) I think its mostly set up now, but I have an odd problem that is related to... what ACPI?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Core Duo. Everything worked fine on Ubuntu, but I thought I'd go back to Arch for simplicity and so I'd stop feeling like a hypocrite adminning these forums. And for the speed burst.

My most pressing issue right now is that I can't reboot. 'halt' works just fine, the way its supposed to. 'reboot', however, shuts down the computer, takes me to a message "Restarting System" or some such, and then pauses for several seconds. Then the screen blanks like its in some sort of standby mode, but it hasn't shut down, as the lights are still on and the fans are still running.

My guess is I need to modprobe some module that is missing right now, but I don't know what it might be. Any suggestions?

Dusty

#2 2007-09-15 14:26:57

low

Re: laptop (thinkpad X60) won't reboot

have you installed acpid?

#3 2007-09-15 15:21:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Hm, I just tried it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The first time I ran it it gave me a "device or resource busy" error on something I didn't bother to write down (/dev/events/something I think). Then I added acpid to the DAEMONS array; it will restart ok now, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Perhaps I should try one of the thinkpad-specific kernels?

Dusty

EDIT: After searching google, I tried appending acpi=force to the kernel line in grub. It didn't help.

#4 2007-09-15 17:13:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I think its fixed, but I'm not totally certain what fixed it. I tried several things at once; I think the issue is that I was following old instructions that said to modprobe ibm_acpi whereas the latest kernel uses thinkpad_acpi.

Dusty

#5 2007-09-15 17:22:39

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Allow me to rephrase that... it worked once. sad

#6 2007-09-16 19:04:07

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

oooooooooh, its one of those random things! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I love these bugs, what a challenge... C@!$^#!

Dusty

#7 2007-09-16 19:12:02

fwojciec

I've had, or have rather, a similar problem on my old Toshiba laptop.  Kernel 2.6.22 seems to be to blame.  It doesn't happen often but it does happen.  It takes a bit of voodoo to get around it - like shutting the laptop down completely, unplugging and then replugging the power cable and such... 

This might or might not be helpful but try booting with "ec_intr=0" kernel command line parameter and see if that changes anything.  On my laptop it does help, somewhat (acpi on this toshiba is a mess)...  I seem to need to shut the computer down completely before booting the system with this for it to take effect.  I know, this is all very strange, but something is better than nothing I guess wink

#8 2007-09-17 20:16:02

damjan

Dusty, first I'd suggest you update the BIOS.
Second you can find thinkpad related kernel patches here http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.22/ - these are the one I use too. I hope you know how to compile a  kernel.

BTW,
I have a x60s, but haven't had this problem .. but maybe because I've always used my own kernel.

Last edited by damjan (2007-09-17 20:18:23)

Board footer