You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-25 23:17:23

thedave

Install Gnome quickly

Hi,

I find myself doing a lot of Arch installations lately, and always miss a package or another.  I'm sure that many of you have little lines of install text saved, but here is the one I use for installing a complete Gnome GUI frontend, complete with some other packages:

pacman -Sy gnome control-center docker evolution firefox file-roller gal gcalctool gdm gedit gnome-media gnome-netstatus gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-themes-extras gnome-utils gpdf grip gthumb gtkam magicdev planner totem yelp gnome-applets gnome-alsamixer gnome-audio gnome-games gnome-system-monitor

Installs Gnome basics, along with evolution, firefox, planner (take it out if you like, I do a lot of project mangement of small projects) etc.

That's it.  Great to store in Yahoo! notepad and access via lynx.  I usually install a completely base system, lynx, nano, and emacs.  lynx out to Yahoo! notepad, download and execute the line above and you have a nice full GUI with web browsing/email capabilities, then install things like openoffice later.

I know many people don't like Gnome, but for those that do, here ya go and have fun.

Dave

Dave

#2 2004-05-25 23:55:05

Zephirias

Re: Install Gnome quickly

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, but I'm pretty sure that just a simple "pacman -Sy gnome" will install almost all of that by default... :?

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#3 2004-05-26 00:50:55

thedave

Zephirias wrote:

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, but I'm pretty sure that just a simple "pacman -Sy gnome" will install almost all of that by default... :?

Unfortunately, not.  That's why I put this together.  A quick "pacman -Sp gnome" gives

:: group gnome: 
control-center gal gnome-common gnome-desktop gnome-icon-theme gnome-mime-data gnome-panel gnome-session gnome-themes gnome2-user-docs gtkhtml libsoup metacity nautilus rep-gtk vte

The only dupes are control-center and gal, which may have been added to the group since last I put this string together.

Dave

Dave

#4 2004-05-26 01:22:03

Zephirias

Yeah, sorry about that, like I said, I wasn't trying to insult or flame or anything, I just always thought that list was bigger by default... wink

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#5 2004-05-26 01:29:42

xerxes2
Website

I was looking for a little flamebait!
Just a shame that you guys like Gnome otherwise I would have flamed you really hard. big_smile
Maybe I even try that script. I run openbox with rox now but maybe Gnome is better is it?

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2004-05-26 02:55:54

thedave

Zephirias wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that, like I said, I wasn't trying to insult or flame or anything, I just always thought that list was bigger by default... wink

No offense taken!  I totally hoped the package list was bigger too when I first did it.  No such luck...  :?

GNOME RULES!  Well, that or no GUI at all.  Arch is the easiest server I ever set up.

Dave

#7 2004-05-26 03:55:51

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If that works for you, then use it.  But have you looked at the gnome-extra group?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-05-26 14:00:58

thedave

Well, that's certainly got a good deal of overlap.  I'll have to remove overlapping items...

Dave

#9 2004-06-07 02:42:12

yarjar

pacman -Sy gnome gnome-extra

Board footer