You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-16 15:40:59

nst

Lenovo n100

Hey, i recently bought lenovo n100 laptop, and im having few troubles with getting it 100% to work. There are the problems:

Fingerprint reader aint workin
Tried thinkfinger, getting USB Device not found when using tf-tool

Special keys not working
Yea, well, dunno what to do with it, i tried acpi etc. but no success, and i need it very badly especially for setting brightness, any ideas ?

Things that work great

LUKS encryption 100%
i810 video drivers -resolution etc.
soundcard -without any problems
wireless card -worked outta the box, no special setting needed
Suspend to ram works great too, as well as acpi events handler

Anyone have an idea what to do with FP reader and special keys? Any help would be appreciated >.<

Last edited by nst (2007-09-16 15:41:47)

#2 2007-09-16 16:13:27

brain0
Developer

Re: Lenovo n100

nst wrote:

Hey, i recently bought lenovo n100 laptop, and im having few troubles with getting it 100% to work. There are the problems:

You have the aes2501 or similar reader, there are no drivers for it for Linux. The fingerprint readers are bullshit anyway, as they are easy to cheat and your fingerprints are all over your laptop.

Special keys not working
Yea, well, dunno what to do with it, i tried acpi etc. but no success, and i need it very badly especially for setting brightness, any ideas ?

For the brightness keys, you simply need to load the "video" kernel module. There is a bug though that prevents my laptop from setting the brightness properly in some cases, the upcoming arch kernel 2.6.23 will have a fix for that.

The other special keys (play, pause, next, prev, volume up/down, mute) work after you assign keycodes to them. I didn't try the rest, anything else you need?

Things that work great

LUKS encryption 100%
i810 video drivers -resolution etc.
soundcard -without any problems
wireless card -worked outta the box, no special setting needed
Suspend to ram works great too, as well as acpi events handler

Anyone have an idea what to do with FP reader and special keys? Any help would be appreciated >.<

Instead of the i810, use testing and the xf86-video-intel driver, it works much better.
Suspend2Ram is great on this model and works perfectly.

#3 2007-09-16 16:26:08

nst

yea, i wouldnt use fingerprint reader anyways, i just like everything working 100% big_smile

When i tried yesterday, my sound was ok, but now it seems its not working at all? yes, i tried alsaconfig, /etc/rc.d/alsa start, unmuted and raised volume at alsamixer but still no output to speakers or to .

Ill try the other video drivers asap, and by assign keycodes you mean the acpi assigns ? I red about that something on thinkwiki, ill check it out. Thanks for your help, ill owe you a beer tongue just come to prague tongue
bluetooth aint working too, installed bluez-(libs|tools) but still getting no such device with hcitool

EDIT: Wow, that intel driver is 200% better then i810 big_smile thanks

Last edited by nst (2007-09-16 16:57:28)

#4 2007-09-16 17:33:47

brain0
Developer

nst wrote:

yea, i wouldnt use fingerprint reader anyways, i just like everything working 100% big_smile

Not possible in that case.

When i tried yesterday, my sound was ok, but now it seems its not working at all? yes, i tried alsaconfig, /etc/rc.d/alsa start, unmuted and raised volume at alsamixer but still no output to speakers or to .

alsaconfig only screws everything up. Remove the stuff from /etc/modprobe.conf (which alsaconf puts there) and boot again. Sound works great here.

Ill try the other video drivers asap, and by assign keycodes you mean the acpi assigns ? I red about that something on thinkwiki, ill check it out. Thanks for your help, ill owe you a beer tongue just come to prague tongue

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e 'keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext'

I put this script in my kde autostart folder and the keys can be used.

bluetooth aint working too, installed bluez-(libs|tools) but still getting no such device with hcitool

you need to start dbus and bluetooth (in that order) in rc.conf DAEMONS for bluetooth to work.

#5 2007-09-16 19:09:22

nst

That sound, in vc1, where i started X and fluxbox, im getting this error:

ALSA lib pcm_dmx.c :866:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) Unable to open slave

After a while of googling and trying, i figured it out:
modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
modprobe snd_hda_intel model=2stack

then alsamixer and raise it, and bam! it works

Ok, everythings working just fine. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by nst (2007-09-16 22:41:44)

#6 2007-10-06 17:20:49

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

brain0 wrote:
nst wrote:

You have the aes2501 or similar reader, there are no drivers for it for Linux. [...]

Sorry but that's not quite true. There are two projects - one seemingly discontinued and one in active development. Both seem to have been around for a year or longer.

The driver registers ok:

aes2501 probe !
aes2501: device now attached to aes2501-0
usbcore: registered new interface driver aes2501

The userspace backend compiles on Arch, but for now it does not 'see' my finger (the program keeps on filling my screen with the message 'Put your finger on the reader to stop this message', but it just carries on happily. I'm not proficient enough with C yet to hack it and (try to) make it work. For those concerned, the driver does not support suspending, so you have to unload it before doing so.

Fingerprint readers are childishly easy to fool indeed, nevertheless it has a certain pimp factor tongue. And it gives a certain sense of pride if you can get _everything_ working on your system smile.

Last edited by B (2007-10-06 17:44:00)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer