You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-17 06:41:51

nsf
Website

disconnected while downloading package

Hello, I'm new Arch user and have a question about pacman. When downloading packages, sometimes connection breaks (don't know why, and actually i'm not interested). I think what pacman should do, is to try reconnect to server and resume downloading. But without my help it will never happen (have to do Ctrl+C and repeat last command). I have slow internet connection and some package updates can take hours, but in case if it will disconnected and I'm not near computer - years? smile I looked man page (searching for keywords: "error", "retry", "resume"), but nothing there. I tried to use wget instead of default download system, but it appears to do that stuff as well. Maybe there is some hack or other way to do what I want?

PS: Sorry if something is unclear. I'm not native english speaker, actually I'm not english speaker at all, but I'm trying hard smile

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

#2 2007-09-17 11:33:25

Leigh

Re: disconnected while downloading package

I'm sure you could probably find a script that would check the connection every so often and then auto reconnect if the connection is lost. I'm not an expert though. I think, even though you don't know why, or may not be interested in why the connection breaks, you may have to figure this out in order to fix the problem.

For resuming a download with wget, wget -c

More details like how do you connect? dhcp? dialup?

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#3 2007-09-17 13:16:53

nsf
Website

Re: disconnected while downloading package

Leigh wrote:

More details like how do you connect? dhcp? dialup?

LAN actually, but only 70kbit.
I think the problem is solved. I just specify --tries=99 for wget (however, wget's man told that there are 20 tries by default). Now wget reconnects as it should or maybe just lucky day. If problem is not solved I will post here after a while. Thanks anyway!

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

Board footer