You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-17 00:00:52

hokstein

Some questions about the wiki

I would like to help with the wiki maintenance, but I've some questions about it:

1. Does the wiki allow pages that have to do with Linux or computers in general, but are not related to ArchLinux?

2. How to deal with pages that are copies of other websites, like this one which was pulled from the official Gentoo documentation?

3. If a category is not included in the current category tree, should it be deleted? Or should it be included there? (example)

4. Is there any format standard for writing articles?

#2 2007-09-17 00:31:50

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Some questions about the wiki

1. That would depend on the topic I suppose.  You should ask yourself whether the non-Arch information would be better posted at a different Wiki, perhaps at the software developer's website if appropriate, or even to Wikipedia.

2. Wiki entries at sites such as Gentoo and OpenSUSE are available under the GPL and thus can be reproduced without worry of infringement.

3. Tough decision to make.  Realistically I think the current TOC covers all major categories and just about any new article (including the two in your example) could be organized into an existing category on the TOC. Your example articles however are both non-English and don't really belong in the English TOC at all, but unless you are fluent enough in those languages to move them to the appropriate place, I'm not sure if I would modify them myself.

4. There is a bunch of information regarding formatting and templates (start here and here), however I have found that much of it was created in late 2006 and appears to be somewhat unfinished in its implimentation.  I usually stick to a simple outline, consisting of:
Introduction
Installation
Configuration
Troubleshooting
Tips & Tricks
Other Resources

Those are all good questions and I hope this provides some insight... Thanks for helping out!

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-09-17 00:32:41)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2007-09-17 14:06:02

soloport

Re: Some questions about the wiki

thayer.w wrote:

I usually stick to a simple outline, consisting of:
Introduction
Installation
Configuration
Troubleshooting
Tips & Tricks
Other Resources

Looks like the start of a good "Howto" wiki-page ;-)

Board footer