You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-17 16:07:35

trav

Hi, I was wondering whether it's possible to log in to multiple vcs at once. What I want to have is basically one login prompt at boot, then all or at least a few of the virtual consoles are logged into and I don't have to worry about entering my user/password every time I want a new console. Ideally I'd have finch start up in vc1 and have it automatically switch to vc2, with 3 and 4 (and possibly others, although 4 is usually enough for me) open to my right. Yes, I can do this with screen; but can I do it without? I much prefer the ALT+Fn switching method, and screen doesn't do everything I like about the console with framebuffer. I could do it by automatically logging in to each console, but I can't afford to have just anybody turn on my computer and be presented with a bash prompt.

#2 2007-09-17 16:30:08

test1000

Re: Log in to multiple virtual consoles at once ...without gnu screen

Turn on automatic login, and make your own fake login program that launches right after that, that really only requires the right keypress or a sign from "finch" to "login" wink

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#3 2007-09-18 05:02:57

trav

Re: Log in to multiple virtual consoles at once ...without gnu screen

heh, well I thought of logging in automatically to every console but vc/1, and then my login would be a simple ALT-Right. That _would_ probably put off anyone happening by, but you never know...

Board footer